View Single Post
Old 2007.12.10, 11:42 PM   #79
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
So you understand my drama xD

"Chalk is a soft, white, porous form of limestone composed of the mineral calcium carbonate."
from Wikipedia.

So, we have "Karuki" which is the katakana version of the german word "Kalk", which directly translates to the english word "Chalk".
Ringo-san wanted 3 distinct things that smelled like semen (the second one being really semen). "Chalk" by itself, at least that I know of, doesn't smell like semen, so she was probably referring to the "Limestone"/"Lime". However, "Lime" brings more contradiction to readers than "Chalk", because "Chalk", at least, always points the reader to something that is a FORM of "Limestone".

We could have "Lime, Semen and Chestnut Blossoms", in which case, given the context of "Chestnut Blossoms", the reader would most likely be pointed to the "flower" conotation of "Lime".
Or we could have "Chalk, Semen and Chestnut Blossoms", in which case, "Chalk" would most likely always point the reader to the variation of "Limestone".
Also, it is, in fact, the direct translation of "Kalk".
So, soundwise and imagewise", "Chalk" is the most correct translation.

However, the point of the title referring to semen-smelling-things is pratically lost. BUT, given that most people don't even know that "Chestnut Blossoms" smell like semen (correct me if I'm wrong please), the meaning was lost from the beginning.

It could also be "Limestone, Semen and Chestnut Blossoms", tho. But then again, it would have little to do with the word "Kalk". The correct meaning would be there, but not the correct direct german translation.
Maybe the most correct and definite translation would really be "Kalk, Semen and Chestnut Blossoms".

Whatever, I'll stick with "Chalk".
Thank you for your time.

Then how about "Cement" ?
Most of internet cdshops, selling KSK licensed version in our country, titled it as "Cement".