View Single Post
Old 2014.04.29, 11:17 PM   #3
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Really, the worst stuff on Ringo's demos are on par with what some other artists are coasting on. I wouldn't say that any of the tracks are bad, necessarily. But my favorite songs from the demo are mostly ones that were adapted into full studio versions very early in her career. I'm afraid my opinion may be due by the fact that I was already in love with these songs prior to listening to the early versions. These songs include "Aozora", "Headphone", and "Onaji Yoru". Her young vibrato in the demo version of "Rinne Highlight" gave me chills the first time I heard it.

There were other songs in the demo that made me really understand the appeal of the official versions, such as "Koko de Kisu Shite" and "Daijoubu". On the other hand, I feel that some songs were really improved with just minor changes, such as in "Don't you think" and "Sakana". I understand why she held out on a lot of material until her second album, as it made all the difference in some of the tracks. But I will say that I almost crapped myself when I heard the demo of "Honnou". All I could think about was how young Ringo was when she imagined that beast of a song. The English lyrics also pleasantly surprised me -- unlike "A New Way to Fly".

As for songs that were demo exclusives, I thought that "Sanso wo Kudasai", "How are you" and "Unconditional Love" had a lot of potential. That would be a single I would purchase.

Edit: I strongly prefer the HF version of "Gamble". What do you like about the demo version?
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote