View Single Post
Old 2014.02.25, 11:52 AM   #59
Rhea

Rhea is headed in the right direction

I think her lyrics can be a bit vague in some songs, but she has some that are pretty straight-forward as well. But I think song lyrics are pretty difficult to translate in general. I found Midnight difficult to understand until I figured out that the song is about Michshige Sayumi from Morning Musume.

In the liner notes posted on the Zettai Shoujo site, Seiko writes that one time she was watching some compilation video of Sayumi's career on YouTube, and she was really annoyed that the person who made used some random Sakanaction song instead of one of hers. Because no one loves Sayumi like Seiko loves Sayumi, apparently. So she decided to write the ultimate Michishige Sayumi song, so that next time someone makes a Sayumi compilation video they'll have to use her song. This is paraphrased, but that's basically what she wrote in the liner notes lol

With that in mind, Midnight seems to be a song about an idol (specifically Sayumi) from a fans point of view (specifically a male pov. Maybe). The "pure opposite sex friendship" in the song title might then refer to the relationship between female idols and male fans, which many of the fans would characterize as something "pure" (though I don't know about that).

Also, the mentions of iphones and "tell me about what you ate etc" in the first verse makes me think it's probably about following your idol on twitter.

As for the lyrics you were having trouble with, TurtleFu, I think I can help with some of them. Though my Japanese is hardly perfect either! >.>

ブルーな気持ちを食べて 歪にかわいい
Eat the blue feelings, a twisted kind of cute
I think her she uses blue as meaning something sad or melancholy. Eating blue feeling might refer to the way an idol will cheer up fans? I'm not sure, honestly. The twisted kind of cute probably refers to idols/Sayumi.

今夜しか見れない流星群
キャラじゃないなんて甘えてるから逃してばっか
A meteor shower that can only be seen tonight
It's not in your character, I'll spoil you so just let loose
It's not your character, you act spoiled, then you keep missing out

Edit: Changed this line a bit, but still not sure about it.

春を殺して夢はひかっている
嘘でもいい 嫌いでもいい 私をみつけて
ストロー噛んでバスストップから睨んだ
狂ってるのは君のほう ミッドナイト清純異性交遊
Kill spring, my dreams are shining
It's fine if it's a lie, it's fine if you hate it, please find me
You glared from the bus stop, chewing at a straw
You're the one going mad, Midnight Pure Opposite Sex Friendship

Not 100% sure about these lines...

黒髪少女で妄想通りさ 君だけがアイドル
A black-haired girl exactly like my delusions, you are my only idol

派手なグッバイ けちらしたいストーリー
不評なエンディングでも好きだから守ってあげるよ
ストロー噛んでバスストップから睨んだ
世界だって君にあげる
ミッドナイト清純異性交遊
Flashy goodbyes, a story of wanting to kick things about
Even with a disgraceful ending, I love you, I'll protect you
You glared from the bus stop, chewing at a straw
I'll give you the world
Midnight Pure Opposite Sex Friendship

Not sure about the first line here, especially the けちらしたいストーリー part.

Aah, this post turned out really long... I've spent a lot of time thinking about this song so yeah

Last edited by Rhea : 2014.02.28 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Japanese is hard lol
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote