View Single Post
Old 2007.09.18, 01:20 PM   #3
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

When I saw the trailer, I thought, this looks really good. When I read that's it's from Stephen King, I thought, this must be really bad.
So I went into the cinema with mixed feelings, after watching the trailer another 3 or 4 times.

I was amazed of the atmosphere in this room. I just so creepy, and Cusack does his best to look scared. It works really nice. There are a lot of shockers, but there's an even greater amount of stress generated before that. The story is good, and I definitely like the ending.

I was very surprised of how the trailer influenced me while watching the movie:
Originally Posted by Spoilers
1. The scene at the window, when that guy appears right behind him was a lot shorter in the trailer. I got an extra shock when it turned out to be longer.
2. The first victim is lying on the floor when Enslin finds him. Well, at least in the trailer.
3. In the trailer his daughter has that creepy deep voice, which made me think that she was the personification of the evil that haunts this room. Because of that, the whole hugging scene was pure stress.
4. Samuel L. Jackson appears later in the trailer and says: "I warned you about 1408". That suggested me, that he was the bad guy, maybe alive for the last 100 Years or some cliche like this. I liked the actual ending a lot more. The unknown is so much scarier that some silly old curse
The trailer wasn't just recut, it contained completely different footage, so that the viewer is confused about what he believes to know about the movie. Great effect.

After all one of the best horror movies I have seen in years.

I give it a 13
1+4+0+8

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2007.09.18 at 01:46 PM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote