View Single Post
Old 2007.06.05, 12:39 PM   #19
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

KSK is a masterpiece of songwriting and production. I always feel like a pearl hunter reaching into a clam and pulling out a diamond.

It seriously astounded me when I first listened to it. The moment that insanely textured diminished chord came out of nowhere to begin the album -- and this never happens to me -- my mouth dropped open, I stopped doing everything else and turned the music way up. I remained in that state of awe for the entire album. I repeat, this has never happened before. Most albums have some good moments, great albums have lots of good moments, but this album was nonstop great because I was always in this absolutely blessed state of tense but sublime suspension, wondering and waiting for the punchline to every perfectly set up musical joke.

Most of the album I was simply reeling in awe at the staggering depth of creativity present in such small spaces and at such a high concentration. The moment the first track connected to the second I knew I was in for an experience. She had me gasping and pensively waiting, laughing and getting misty-eyed (all silently of course). By the end of the 44:44 I sat there in silence, attempting to process what I'd heard. "This is the best album I've ever heard." I said. Then, I started it over.

My roommates were doomed to hear nothing but that album from me for the next month. Even after years I still hear things in this album I hadn't noticed before. To this day I never tire of it, but I am more careful now to reserve it for times when I can listen to it as it deserves to be listened to.

KSK is always the album I use to introduce people to SR. Of course then I play them a bit of "La Salle" and "Yokushitsu" (and now the HF version blends them... something I'd always imagined... and they kept my favorite parts from each version too. i was super stoked about that, but didn't like the tempo drop.) and a little bit of Mayonaka and some other b-sides to show her genratic chameleonism. People usually get hooked fast.

I showed this album to several music professors, studio engineers and producers (out of duty if not fandom) and they are always in awe and try to spread the word as well. My jazz workshop instructor in college was basically choking on himself for the whole album.

KSK has changed my life. It dwarfed and then vastly enlarged my musical world. I will always love it.

~zach~

ps - as an artist, I completely understand SR's decision to form TJ after releasing KSK. The act of creation is joyous but demanding, as any pro musician or producer will tell you. And an album of KSK's magnitude would be exhausting. Believe me, that album was NOT easy to make. What are you going to do when you feel like you've just finished building the Eiffel Tower and you still have to pay the bills? Go build Eiffel Tower 2? No; not only do you lack the energy, but the Eiffel Tower deserves to be unique. She's a smart cookie, that Shiina Ringo, and she made the only choice that makes sense, aside from pursuing a different career for a while. Yes, there was relative safety in joining TJ and the songs on their albums are produced like band songs, not like solo studio projects. I hope anyone that ribs her about starting TJ being a cop-out move has to wash dishes, mow the lawn, do their taxes, shovel snow, and stay up all night with a crying baby the day after they finish a huge project.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote