View Single Post
Old 2014.12.09, 07:59 PM   #20
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

10. Mariko Goto- Kowareta Hako ni Rinakksu

Three years, three albums, three times making it to my top 20 list. Mariko Goto is a figure I've always admired, although I admit I had started to lose faith in her, with her mediocre solo performances, record label changes and somewhat uninspiring lead in single (on first impressions) to this album. HOWEVER- this album is a complete turnaround for me. Everything I love about her is present here- and it far surpassed my expectations on every plain.

I think changing labels may have been the godsend she needed. She seems to have far more creative control here and there doesn't seem to be much, if any, label interference. It's loud, fast, cute and the most exciting she has been in for years. While still firmly grounded in cutesy jpop, the craziness of Midori pushes through the cracks constantly- in many ways the fact that this element is more subtle makes it even more potent than before. The element of surprise is ever present and keeps the listen hooked through it's perfectly short running time of just under half an hour.

There is no time for filler here. It's just track after blazing track and there really is not much to gripe about. Even the single that standalone inspired barely any excitement now sounds like an absolute essential in the Goto catalog. The fourth track, Suki, Koroshi Tai, Aishiteru is my personal favorite, with its anthem chorus and 100% Mariko Goto trademark vocal delivery. It brings up the fire and passion that caught me hook, line and sinker with Goto to begin with- and is a true testament to her triumphant comeback.

An essential album in 2014, and definitely deserving of it's spot in my top 10.

Mariko Goto