View Single Post
Old 2011.04.18, 02:30 PM   #261
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

^ Souretsu is genius because by rights it should be a total cacophany but it's not, it's amazing.

My favourite tracks from the album these days are Poltergeist and Okonomi de. Although when KZK properly intoxicates, there's always a different favourite and a different track that gets you in a new way each time. There seem to be a lot of clever use of harmonising to ascending / descending scales in KZK (think the music box accompaniment to the B-side version of Ishiki and the "fairground"-style accompaniment to Poltergeist between the chorus and verse) which is always a great way to write a pleasing song.

I love the clockwork thing in Poltergeist as well as the lighter in Meisai.

Part of the difficulty of talking about KZK is that the music follows its own logic (and her ego?) to the exclusion of all other reference points. The brain casts around for some and goes ... "???" So can anyone "recommend an album that sounds like KZK"...? Only really Shugo Tokumaru ever really reminded me of this in its sonic flavour. I had a pet theory that the 20s jazz idiom in Meisai and Okonomi de are "found sounds" from her time in the UK like the detuned piano she apparently enjoyed playing. There were one or two TV theme tunes at that time with similar drawing-room type strings (Jeeves and Wooster, Fawlty Towers [which is pastiche Beethoven]) but that has the same volume of corroborating evidence as my theory that Suberidai is influenced by UK garage - i.e. literally nothing.

I think it was merman I picked up from that Kuki was called "Sei", meaning gender - this is actually true AFAIK - and the album is split into a male and female half. The second half does definitely sound more "female".

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.04.18 at 03:26 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote