View Single Post
Old 2009.12.21, 07:57 PM   #19
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Say what you want, but it's just as if you'd say "I won't watch Star Wars, because the force is stupid, and lasers don't end after 1m so the swords are soooo unrealistic"
Every last person on earth can guarantee you that you have never seen anything like it. The Na'vi design ist not stupid if you see it in 3D. I saw it the second time today and in the End when Na'vi stands besides/touches a real human you CAN NOT tell that the human is real and the Na'vi CG. Once you've really seen the Na'vi interact they look and fell totally believable.
And if you don't watch it because of the story...
The design of Pandora is so unique and good that it totally makes up for it. It's changing the story so much that it's MORE than interesting to watch. And I don't just mean creature design. I'm talking about the biology and physiology invented for Pandora and let me tell you without spoilers that there's one side to it that makes every single being on the planet and the culture of the Na'vi so much richer. It also explains their religion and their motives on a biological level, and that has never been done before.
dude, you're mixing up what i'm saying. well, first, what i'm saying is nothing like "I won't watch Star Wars, because the force is stupid, and lasers don't end after 1m so the swords are soooo unrealistic." not at all. i'm not questioning the believability of the story or the characters, i just mean that design-wise, they're not very original. that has nothing to do with whether they look realistic next to people, whether they are painted, sketched, or whatever. if you drew it on paper, black and white, it's a lame design. now it seems you'll say the amazing 3d makes it better, but it's the same design and it's a design that is unappealing to me. that's all i'm saying.

and neko, how is the design i'm seeing out of context? i haven't seen it paired with the whole story, but the design is what it is and there's no getting around that. it's the story, really, that doesn't make me care for it, i can get past a visual disturbance if the content was worth it but it doesn't seem to be the case. as i said before, if it's so similar to other stories i've heard, i don't feel like bothering with it. i looked at some reviews and everyone says the same thing, the story is ho-hum but the visuals are amazing. i want the cake to be real good, not just the icing.

you're right about the message bit, if that is really the intention. i didn't mean to compare the message directly to a cliche'd line, but i intended to show that if it is something i already know and is established and passed down like cliche'd lines, then i won't be interested. but if it's for a younger generation and it really is a "lesson" for them to learn, i guess that's fine for them. though i'm not sure i want a movie to teach me anything specific as much as i want it to show me something that i can draw my own conclusions from. though i'm also not sure if that's always the case in my movie watching.

i don't want to seem like i'm bashing this, it does seem like a legit movie and all. i wasn't going to comment on it before because i saw some people seemed to really like it but i pointed out that article because it had an interesting view that i probably would not have put to the movie and was wondering if that would add/change/subtract from anyone's enjoyment of it.

but, i might get it from netflix in the future, i doubt it, but you never know. the only real thing i might be missing out is on the 3d experience and the only place that offers that near me is too out of the way for me to bother.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.12.21 at 08:02 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote