View Single Post
Old 2009.06.12, 10:25 AM   #15
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
Maybe extensive pre-production would lose the feel of their work. Because both of their movies seem rushed and jumbled -- in a good way of course.
Extensive pre-production is never too much. First of all, if a movie involves money coming from the studio, which is usually the case for most of the ones you see on theatres, the executive producers will never give you unlimited credit for "artistic reverie" of the director. Actually, they're not even gonna aprove the project if the plot is "I'm thinking of shooting this, with a woman, and... I don't know, it'll come up. Give money please."

Unless you're some succesful and respected avant-garde director, like Tarantino or others, who self-produce most of his movies and has support from independent production companies who probably assign all their cash to his movies. He basically just has to ask.
Or unless you are David Lynch, who has support from like, every european (mostly french) film production companies that are just dying to see more of his artistic movies, even if they don't know the plot at all (see Inland Empire).
What that is going to produce, however, is careless management of resources and time, and the director is gonna end up shooting everything he sees. The result, three hour long movies (see Inland Empire).

Now, are they artistic? Maybe, yes, because they allow for total freedom of the artist (director). But are they coherant enough to be understood by any person or just by Lynch fanatics? That's hard to say. They are extremely long, tho.
If you're going to produce 3 hour long films, that involve the work of a lot of people (actors, crew, location, etc), you better make it worth it and not just some personal fantasy that only you will understand. I think art should be for humanity. If it's just for you, do it yourself. But this is probably tooooo controversial.

That said, I suppose Tarantino did want his film to be 3 hours and just had to cut it to please the audience. But shouldn't he be concerned with the the audience in the first place, instead? And most of all, with the people he worked with.

If art is just expressing yourself with no contrains and with no thought, just flowing with the moment, doesn't that diminish it's importance and validity? Think about how many concepts and sketches the great painters in the past needed before they reached the final result. That was pre-production.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote