View Single Post
Old 2014.05.20, 08:38 PM   #55
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
Surprised I didn't post in this thread yet...
In response to your post, I think I need to shed some love on Yattsuke Shigoto. The KZK version of the song explores a whole new world and gives the lyrics new meaning. And the beauty of it all is that it's all done by altering the sound and not at the words at all. As mentioned above, the vocals are almost monotone and express little to no emotion. The instrumentation of the song has become sarcastic, directly contradicting the hopeless theme of the lyrics. The song is like a machine and doesn't miss a beat -- like the methodical, systematic procedures of the everyday working man. It is not at all like the instrumentation would have you believe. It is a beautiful nightmare where everyone falls into the elaborate trap called life. Why do anything if it will have no impact on the world?

A thought that often comes to mind: there should have been a music video for the KZK version of Yattsuke Shigoto. The original music video is fine and dandy but we're comparing the ZCH version to KZK. I picture Ringo bored out of her mind, wearing a uniform that she hates, watching her co-workers tediously labor away like machines day in and day out to the song's rhythm. I imagine something in light of the Meisai PV, only in an office setting. A lot would have to be going on --- that song has A LOT going on -- but every movement would be methodical and calculated to the beat of the song. The original version of the song is angry at the mundane nature of life but the KZK version of the song is so much more scary because the character has given up all hope and refuses to even become angry. It's really one of those tracks that finds more appreciation after understanding the lyrics. I think this was a missed opportunity.

I never made the train connection until now! And it's worth mentioning that there are train-like elements in Okonomi de as well. Though, nothing in Odaiji ni as far as I can tell. I enjoyed reading your post and have grown to love Doppelganger a whole lot more. What you have said about the "new voice" at the end will forever affect how I listen to that song. I knew that both second and penultimate tracks were German loan words that were related to the paranormal. I never realized some of the deeper parallels. The former certainly does seem dangerous while the latter seems caring and affectionate. The entire way Ringo uses her voice -- and the language too -- is completely different. I feel bad for those who are unable to hear those subtle differences. Sometimes I wonder if I would like KZK so much if I had no prior experience with Japanese.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Reading through this thread...

WHO THE FUCK SKIPS ANY SONGS ON KZK?

wussies :-p

I usually listen to the entire album through many times. But I literally listen to the album several times every day. I love all the tracks but I don't know if I could talk about Okonomi de like I have some of the other tracks above.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote