View Single Post
Old 2016.03.01, 05:39 PM   #53
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Can't even watch it a second time round...

The sound is just too noticeably muddy. Sigh too, because I know there's some great arrangements tucked in there.

That said... the hands down brilliant new arrangement of Nakata song (I'm gonna call it the "Fukushuu ver.") makes me forget the horrible original. So that's one great thing that's come out of this. All they had to do was remove all Nakata.
I watched this a second time last night. I'm not sure quite what I did settings-wise, but it sounded a lot better this time. Still not great, but better enough that I was really starting to get into some of the tracks I had previously found to be a little bit lackluster. Yasashii Tetsugaku, in particular, was an awesome performance that just somehow didn't come through on the first listen.

This concert is really growing on me. It must have been incredible to see live. I'm SO envious of those who got to see her on tour!

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
About her voice -- I strongly disagree that voice has gotten WORSE over the years. Her singing is just extremely unpredictable. In this show, her singing is generally not up to par. I think she sounded great in Ultra C and in Toutokai. The Harbour concert and this one is not good. In Dynamite Out and Expo 08 she was kind of screechier than normal. It really just depends on the song and the concert.
You're absolutely right about the variability of her voice - it is and always has been a bit unpredictable. Given that she has had, by all accounts, relatively minimal vocal training, I suppose that's to be expected, and I think the argument could even be made that in some ways she's a better singer today than she was in her youth simply by dint of experience. But it seems at least to me that there is a noticeable difference in her current singing versus what she was doing 8 or 10 years ago. Tsumi to Batsu seems like the most obvious example - she just doesn't seem to be able to deliver it with the same kind of raw, bluesy vocals she did back in the day.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2016.03.01 at 05:56 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote