View Single Post
Old 2010.04.03, 05:05 PM   #59
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Kasu View Post
I just love this album. I really love it for Genjitsu ni Oite which I adore because I adore Impressionism and this track sounds just like Débussy
I like this observation, I used to play a little Debussy. Does the beginning of this sound a bit like Genjitsu ni Oite?

It's not based on any evidence but I always guessed the verse of Gibs would be the kind of pop song a girl who liked Debussy would write (not so much the chorus), something about its dreamy chord set and reading the previous song title as a hint. And Hatsukoi Shoujo sounds very Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1 played at the piano - the verse has the same chords and if anything the melody revels even more in the Major 7th interval.

One nice thing about SR stuff is that she makes rock songs that sound good on piano despite my being a rubbish pianist. I don't know the chords to Genjitsu wo Warau for sure, but it's fun to play an approximation along with the melody (verse: F#maj7add2 Gmaj7 (repeat x times) | Dmaj7 Emaj7 D#m7 ... | Cmaj7 Dmaj7 Gmaj7 ... ). The verse to Sounan comes out really interesting that way, like a mix of 90s R&B and some unidentifiable but very strong 20s jazz sound.

Kyoiku's the album that's grown on me the most because I thought it was weird at first, particularly when I started posting here. I used to think Bokoku Jouchou sounded like a piano being shoved down the stairs by a circus elephant and wished I'd got my albums mixed up and Izawa wrote it (I picked up on his "circus" sound early). I still pretend SR didn't write Crawl...

edit: Oh and Kyoiku Yume no Ato is the best Yume no Ato. Every other version gets a bit much...

Last edited by so_cold : 2010.04.04 at 06:23 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote