View Single Post
Old 2012.05.16, 10:17 AM   #123
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

You could be surrounded by autistic children throughout a decade of your life, and still be extremely sheltered about the issue.

For you to receive any portrayals of autism as taboo, shows that you haven't fully come to terms with the politically-incorrect world you're living in. I could watch something over-the-top like Bruno and accept that it doesn't represent the gay community, but I can still at least sadistically appreciate the movie for preying on peoples' sensitivities (mainly homophobia). Apparently you can't accept autistic depictions unless they represent the autistic community. That's really all you need to admit to yourself or to the rest of us, for this side-discussion to be over.

I don't have a problem with media depictions of autistic people as superheroes and/or narrowminded (though I don't know if that's what this drama even attempted). Every diverse demographic (including the autistic spectrum) has its own real superheroes (and narrowminders), and entertainment-oriented media is a tough sell when there's nothing extraordinary or focused about the characters.