View Single Post
Old 2009.06.08, 03:37 PM   #11
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Well, it was not just about me. Other users are unable as well, and their rep-giving/receiving history is very different from mine. And others, like Ringo~Bingo, are able to give both positive and negative rep.

If I click on the rep button on a Ringo~Bingo post, it says "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bingo again". But if I click on, for example, justriingo's rep button, it only gives me one option and that is to Approve the comment, even tho I never gave her any positive or negative rep (ever). And this applies for every other user.

Orenji said he only (ever) received one negative reputation, so that makes me wonder if receiving one negative reputation is enough to not be able to give it to other people. But that wouldn't make any sense.

The way I see it, the current system is so perfect or so random that I can't possibly guess how it works or it can make me feel that "some users can, and some users can't".

I also feel that if I need to spread enough positive rep around before I can give negative rep again, I'll be forced to either bear with posts that get on my nerves or simply put the poster in the ignore list.

And more importantly, if people don't understand how the system works, how can they understand the numbers? If I don't understand that "+" means sum, what value or significance can "1+1=2" have to me, other than formal?

To me, the increasing (or decreasing) numbers known as "postcount" or "rep power" only serve the purpose of promoting differences of status and keeping a record of who is the "most reliable", for future reference. And even then, it may not work, because I can make the rep power grow super-fast (as has been proven by at least two members) and then act like a total jerk and no one will be able to neg rep me because they first need to "spread the Reputation around".

PS - And hey, even now, my rep changed from 5 to 4. This is completely random, I love it <3
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote