View Single Post
Old 2015.01.27, 07:55 AM   #33
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
So, new Bjork leaked.

I'm in one way glad it's an easier listen (for Bjork standards) than Biophilia, and has some full pop moments on it.

But I'm also not glad that the extreme, alienating, fascinating experimentation is gone- or at least isn't as noticeable.

Sounds pretty close to Homogenic to me.

Like any new Bjork release, it needs a few spins to really come into focus.

Will no doubt buy it, waiting to see what kind of packages will be available.
I'm surprised there isn't more Bjork buzz on EMF tbh. I think this is her most affecting, personal record since Vespertine. Especially considering the context of both albums, the comparison seems apt.

Vulnicura is just devastating to listen to. The strong sense of dread percolating through each track. The discord between gentle strings and abrasive electronics. Some tracks sound like she's singing on the verge of tears, if she isn't crying already. These are still sounds she's experimented with previously, but this LP is particularly fresh - for one, it's less self-indulgent than some recent releases that could border on emphasizing concept over music (i.e. Biophilia). Like you said I'll have to listen to it a few more times to really digest this record, but it's her best in years. It's refreshing to hear her get back to the basics.

As for the cover itself, I'd say it perfectly encapsulates the sound of the record, which Bjork definitely has a knack for.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote