View Single Post
Old 2020.08.15, 07:17 AM   #9
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

I appreciate how cohesive the new single is, even if it's inconsistent quality-wise. For the most part, Izawa's contributions are particularly messy and tonally jarring but the single overall is pretty solid.

Aka no Doumei - The song kind of meanders throughout the first half but thankfully the bridge is fantastic and the second half where the song comes together is really engaging. If the melody sounds pretty reminiscent of Eien no Fuzai Shoumei I'm willing to give it a pass.
Meijitsu Tomoni is where Izawa tries to do too much and it ends up feeling more like a medley than a proper tune. It sounds like a mash-up of Gaman/BB.Queen where he decides to throw a random Weezer break-down (?) into the mix. It mostly just plods along, which is a shame cos the guitars at the start tease something much heavier!
Gyokazu no Wana - This is more like it. Out of all the new songs I've been missing Tokyo Jihen's groovy side, and I'm glad Ukigumo finally brings some smooth R&B vibes. The song doesn't overreach and works because it commits to one thing. Hata's drumming is the definite highlight here.

Also, from the PV's "And the Beat Goes On" I'm totally convinced a new album proper is in the works...
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote