View Single Post
Old 2011.10.26, 11:26 PM   #787
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Yattsuke Shigoto sounds like it's "using" J-pop.

Anyway I do think KZK is the least hooky in its compositions, MM is most in the "real world" so to speak (possibly also lyrically), SS is in the middle and you can pick your favourite flavour. One is blue, the next one is pink and the one after that is black. All three are poppy as hell, and have extremely accomplished songwriting.

KZK doesn't gain at all by being separated out from the fun, quirky pop of its precursors and being grouped with HF or SG (and I have read nu-fans that do that) because that would amplify its arguable "flaws", i.e. it's possibly a little cold, overbearing in it's loud-soft transitions, and a bit "too much" occasionally. All of which I was actually happily oblivious to before reading other people's opinions on the album.

In other words, KZK is wonderful but sensitive to a certain type of overpraise that colours its interpretation. Concentrate on its less "showy" side, its use of samples, beats and found sounds, the string quartets as much as its orchestras, the bits that seem to connect to Mr Wonderful and Komori Uta on UM rather than HF, and it's all the better IMO.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
KSK is favored subliminally cause it won't/hasn't dated as quickly as the others cept SG which can't date/isn't favoured cause it's already made to sound oldies (which is totally my bag baby).

Well that's my bullshit theory anyway.

Lots of people are put off by the SJDAJGKJGKJKGJADJGJ production of SS too. I've heard many newer fans who got in from KSK say MM is too pop.

I'm gonna leave TJ albums out of this cause they're not relevant to what I'm trying to say, though I cannot articulate what I mean properly.
I have to say, I don't get this post. MM and SS are remarkable in that they haven't dated at all, in that even I'll admit some music from then sounds of its time and I'm a 90s guy. They could have come out at any point in the last 15 years, and any point in the next.

Also does the production on SS really put anyone off? That kind of compression is very familiar to pop, rock, techno and drum and bass. The drums, strings and sitars are distorted (Yame ni Furu Ame) but that's an integral part of the sound she was going for. I'm just interpreting "SJDAJGKJGKJKGJADJGJ" here

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.10.27 at 04:47 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote