View Single Post
Old 2013.07.01, 07:16 AM   #8
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Hmm, I haven't heard RAM... but I dunno, I can't see myself investing a whole load of time into a genre/band/image/lifestyle I've got no interest in. I just don't think I'd ever be physically able to like it, nothing I've heard by them seems to "fit my ears", and believe me, I've heard A LOT by them.

THAT BEING SAID... I do like SOME EDM... just Daft Punk seem too light for me... for example, I will safely say that I really dig Shaking the Habitual/Fever Ray's album. But it's hardly danceable. It's more like Bjork or something (to go for a cheap shot/lazy comparison- I'm fucking tired right now) and I do like Goldfrapp too, but that's cause of her voice more than anything. Oh, and Felt Mountain/Seventh Tree aren't really EDM as such. So yeah... if Daft Punk have anything harder like this I'd like to know... but if it's all like Get Lucky, Around The World and One More Time then I say no thanks.

In other words, if Daft Punk are supposedly the Radiohead of EDM (yes, I've actually heard them being referred to like that), then I'm yet to hear it, or have heard it but my disinterest has made it fly over me.

Also, I'm trying not to get involved with anything regarding TJ/SR on this thread, cause everything has been written in other threads in one way or another, but:

As for "Every Tokyo Jihen song sounds like every other Tokyo Jihen song"- you could only say that if you do indeed suggest that they 'had their own sound'. Whether you like it or not, I cannot think of any band that truly sounds like them. How is this (from the perspective of a band, not mine or yours opinion) a bad thing? You might not like their sound, but ultimately, they were quite a weird band and I think I'll actually miss em now that EMI have (apparently) stopped milking their disband. I don't think you give them enough credit, just look at their final offering Color Bars, how can you ever label them a "Kidz Bop" group and keep a straight face with a release that truly bizarre? That mini album still confuses and excites me to this day, and I appreciate more now than ever before. What a fucked up send-off.

Damn, yeah, I'm quite happy with that. Would be a good departing message for EMF, but I'm not going anywhere yet :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.01 at 08:05 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote