View Single Post
Old 2007.04.06, 03:53 PM   #66
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by bebio View Post
My favourite Japanese music is underground music, like Boris, Envy, Toe, Lite, Garlic Boys, DJ Krush, Zazen Boys, Cornelius and stuff like that, although I certainly don't mind the ocasional listening of more accessible music like Bonnie Pink, Acidman, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and even Halcali and Ryp Slyme. But Morning Musume, or Kumi Koda's type of music are just not my thing :p

As for non asian music, I enjoy Radiohead, Silverchair, Mr. Bungle, Mike Patton, Refused, Shellac, Sigur Rós, Isis, Mogwai, Archer Prewitt, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Bôa, Beck, Air, among many other things.
I have a collaboration CD between Boris and Merzbow that I really like (Sun Baked Snow Cave). If you haven't heard them already (and if you like noise...it's noise with a punk rock twist, really), give Melt-Banana a try.

And you're one of the few people I've met who actually likes HALCALI (everyone I've shown them to has hated them). I think the naivety of the group (two high school girls who didn't know each other, and who had never really heard of rap before they were brought together, performing a super-happy kind of J-Pop/Rap mix) is really fun and silly and entertaining. I'm also not much of a "normal" J-Pop person, although I do like Puffy and some of the Hamasaki Ayumi trance remixes.

I gave Mr. Bungle a try several months ago and didn't really like them that much (I wasn't all that fond of the vocals, really...), although they seemed really interesting. And Godspeed You! Black Emperor is excellent as well.

It's not often I find someone with such similar musical tastes to myself.