View Single Post
Old 2021.06.16, 01:17 PM   #30
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Ongaku is surprisingly great. Their most consistent album since Adult and best overall since Sports. It has its misfires sure - Whiteout borders on inoffensive and feels like a retread of some previous Jihen tracks. But there's also an emotional resonance in songs like Inochi no Tobari and Kemono no Ri that feels missing from Ringo's recent solo releases, which can feel overly intellectual and detached. Besides, a song like Ryokushu is up there with Jihen's all-time great songs, and Kemono no Ri is Kameda's best Jihen track since Superstar.

I'm mainly impressed with Izawa here for carrying the bulk of the record. It's a treat having the band back in full force.

Stray thoughts:
  • Ougonhi is a solid track for being Ukigumo's sole contribution to the album. To echo matan-san, its chorus sounds like Omatsuri Sawagi in the best way, specifically this arrangement from Ringo's 2015 tour.
  • Ao no ID is a lot of fun - like Jiyuu-dom's bolder, badder cousin.
  • As much as I love Ryokushu, I can't help but wish Ukigumo showed some more force during the guitar solo, or at least that his guitar wasn't mixed so low in the track.
  • If the opener and closer aren't the most memorable, they do a good job of bookending the album in a cohesively satisfying way.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote