View Single Post
Old 2010.05.22, 07:04 PM   #6272
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

New reissue: La Lupe - Con El Diablo En El Cuerpo. It was released in 1960, before she left Cuba. I haven't heard another album by her that has quite the same sound. For one thing, much of this doesn't sound all that "Latin." At times the rhythms are more like Anglophone rock or country or just basically whatever popular music was around at the time. The later albums do include nods to that type of music too, but they still sound more Latin to me, overall. Anyway, I like it as a change of pace.

“I think people like me,” the legendary La Lupe, one of the most electrifyingly memorable performers to ever blitz Planet Earth, once said in an interview, “because I do what they’d like to, but can’t get free enough to do.” True, some would say La Yi Yi Yi was free spirit incarnate; others would say she was simply possessed. Literally. No surprise, given the voluptuous vocalist’s onstage inclination to bounce off walls, rip her clothes off, throw shoes at her band, and claw, bite, and scratch herself, all
the while belting a tune with orgasmic zest. Such musical drama reportedly drew international celebs like Marlon Brando, Ernest Hemingway, Simone De Beauvoir, and Jean Paul Sartre into her court. But it was also such anything-can-happen antics, along with new leader Castro’s bent on nationalizing and cleaning up Havana’s infamous nightclub scene, that eventually landed La Lupe in New York City where, from 1962 until her untimely death thirty years later, she would experience the ultimate highs
and lows of life in a business that would crown her the Queen of Latin Soul yet watch idly as she died a pauper’s death.

More:

http://www.fania.com/content/con-el-...cuerpo-fever-0

La Lupe - "Con El Diablo En El Cuerpo"
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote