View Single Post
Old 2009.06.25, 02:32 PM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Is it just me or is there actually something to this album?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a great album, and you can call out Izawa's singing all you want (tho, I'd call you a hypocrite since Shiina's singing can be just as unflattering. And it's miles better than his singing on Variety) but some of these tunes are really good and snappy.

Violence is a great song. Genron, Sono Toumei are pretty good too. These songs stomp all over Sake to Geko, Ssaw, Ramp, Kuroneko, and Kingyo. Even Egao and G Supi, barring the vocals, are really groovy stuff. I'll take the singing on Otome no Solo and Afuro. Even songs like La Li Ho, Oni no Te, and Tenjou Afuro which sound like crap at first are strangely redeeming.

Dare I say it, but enjoyed much of these songs on the first listen than I did much of Sanmon Gossip on its first listen. On that note, I think Rashipoki and Sanmon Gossip same to have similar idealogys behind them. If you liked SG, I see no reason not to give Rashipoki a listen.

On a cynical note: The "Jihen makes people worse" mythos is still very much in play. Shiina of course, is widely panned in Jihen. Uki is even more widely villified, yet his Petrolz work is much more agreeable. Izawa had some real stinkers on Variety including songs that didn't even sound like finished ideas (Ramp, Sake) which leaves me throroughly impressed with his work in Appa.

Violence stomps on most SG songs

Jihad's three picks: Violence, Genron, Sono Toumei Shirinasu

RETRO EDIT: \/ \/ Blaah, since when? Whatever, Ramp still sucks.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2009.06.25 at 03:04 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote