View Single Post
Old 2012.01.08, 09:46 AM   #8
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm not gonna make a new thread for 2012 Grammys, but I just have to say:
I like Adele, I feel like it's one of those rare times when pop music, mainstream music, and artistic music converge. Though I find it interesting how she's nominated for the pop awards because I personally find her music to have more in common with soul/blues/r&b than what passes as "pop" nowadays.
Lady Gaga will probably be a big winner, even though I only like You and I from the new album. Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Pink don't deserve ANY Grammys. And why is Kanye so conspicuously absent?
And dear god, FOSTER THE PEOPLE. If they win ANYTHING, the Grammys are officially dead to me. They were before, but after the Pre-Telecast Blues Performance and Esperanza Spalding and Arcade Fire, I hoped they would continue to actually care about artistic music. Foster The People are the most bullshit band ever.
Robyn! I'm not sure if she deserves to win best Dance, because I haven't heard the others, but at least she's nominated.
For Hip-Hop, it's kind of depressing that Nicki Minaj got anything. Her album sucked, and Lasers (Lupe Fiasco) was equally terrible. I hope Kanye wins every award.
But of course, the best part of the Grammys are the performances (tho last year the pre-telecast were 1000% better than the telecast, That Esperanza Spalding and Bobby McFerrin performance was fantastic, and Mavis Staples + Buddy Guy knocked it out of the park)

EDIT: I like how R&B this year focused more on soul/traditional R&B acts rather than the R.Kelly/User contemporary R&B. I can't really speak for blues or jazz because I don't really follow modern jazz, but I'm excited to look at these albums.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.01.08 at 10:25 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote