View Single Post
Old 2009.07.15, 02:34 PM   #13
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Aozora, Memai, Suberidai, Aisaika no Choushoku, Ichijiku no Hana, Toki ga Bousou Suru, Sakuran and Ringo Catalogue (although it's a given) are some of the best songs Ringo has ever recorded, and they're all B-sides. others not mentioned (17, Remote Controller, Sigma, Tokyo no Onna, Fukou Jiman, La Salle de Bain) are good songs in their own right, with one true stinker (that cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You).

three Tokyo Jihen B-sides are covers of some obscure/old song, with Dynamite being great, The Lady is a Tramp being cool because the band irreverently tears it to shit and Get it Up for Love having great lyrics and a cool, funky vibe going for it. Rakujitsu is a beautiful ballad, Kao is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel and Kokoro is another one of my favorite all-time Ringo songs. there's also the issue of Killer Tune's B-sides being two giant turds and OSCA's B-sides being better than quite a few songs on the single's respective album.

so...all in all, I think TJ B-sides are a mixed bag of hit-or-miss while we can expect some level of quality from Ringo on her own. I think SR B-sides have it.