View Single Post
Old 2015.12.12, 08:54 PM   #40
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
DG, I really just don't find anything remotely interesting or alluring in how Seiko sings. It's really just uncontrolled wailing.
I think you've really hit the nail on the head with the idea of control. I agree 100% with the argument that Ringo is operating on a higher plane in terms of vocal ability, and what puts her on that level is control. She has mastered traditionally "good" vocal technique and adapted it to encompass the more "interesting" aspects of her voice, allowing her to break the rules (sometimes pretty flagrantly) without it ever feeling like she's actually doing something wrong. Her singing is unconventional, if you will, but rarely unintentional.

Oomori seems to very often to go off onto these frenetic tangents where she's not even really singing so much as she's just talking really fast and beating the hell out of her guitar. That's where she loses me. But that isn't all there is to her - for example, "I Love You" from Magic Mirror I thought was quite good. It was just that kind of controlled performance, where she's really *using* the edgier aspects of her voice, and I'd love to see more of that from her.