Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.03.01, 04:14 PM   #1001
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
They said in their color bars interview (something along the lines of) that they weren't going for a retrospective with the final concert. They should have!
I'm glad they didn't attempt a retrospective. Ringo has been so all-over-the-place - or, dare I say - stylistically inconsistent over the years, she can't sing the same song even two years later with the same vocals and character... it's not necessarily worse, but different. From one year to the next, you don't know if she's going to be clearly-voiced or croaky, nasal or throaty, malicious or mellow. Whether it's her design or not, she can't capture the same essence she sang a song with years later. For her to try to recreate the mood and tension of phase 1 or even early phase 2 at this point would be laughable. Dynamics have changed. Ringo has changed.
Old 2012.03.01, 04:27 PM   #1002
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I don't get it. Why do people think the visuals overshadowed the performance? Did they watch it?

Because I did and all I saw was an awesome band, playing awesome music, who also decided to do something interesting visually.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 04:35 PM   #1003
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I don't get it. Why do people think the visuals overshadowed the performance? Did they watch it?

Because I did and all I saw was an awesome band, playing awesome music, who also decided to do something interesting visually.
I'm sure the visuals didn't overshadow it either. I haven't seen it though, but I mean, as I said before, it doesn't look like a Tool show, where visuals well and truly are 50% of the performance.

But you know, with so many kvlt people on here, you're bound to get assumptions of the worst without it being seen :-p
Old 2012.03.01, 05:10 PM   #1004
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
That's funny because I can still remember everything about the St. Vincent show I saw back in '09 (posted the setlist in the thread we have here). The intensity of Black Rainbow, the silent chorus of The Strangers, new key for Your Lips Are Red, the building-shaking bass of Just the Same... Great stuff. I think it's easy to notice the differences in St. Vincent's live music. She does a lot of different tempos and new arrangements. : /
Well, like I said I'm inclined to remember different things, and to be fair I wasn't as familiar with her songs as I am now. Though people like you and Jihad seem to be very musically informed and oriented; so you can pick up on those things more easily and store the differences in your memory. At least, that makes sense to me. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

I just don't understand the full on whining about the visuals. I'm not saying it's "Tokyo Jihen's style," but I AM saying it's not like they've never done anything visually intriguing before. I just don't get the complaining when you haven't even seen the damn show. :| "OH but they are doing TOO MANY visuals therefore they are trying to compensate for poor music!" OH wah stop being a negative nancyx1,000 and go watch Dynamite Out 4,000 times if you want a fantastic show without all the costume changes/lights/bells&whistles. MY GOSH.

I'm getting a bit riled up, and I apologize. I understand that not everyone likes the idea of over the top visuals, but shouldn't you wait until you've actually seen the concert to make judgments? anyway.

Also, NIMH, I just ordered that issue of Rockin' On Japan, and it shipped the other day. I'll definitely be doing scans of it when it arrives.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 05:35 PM   #1005
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I'm sure the visuals didn't overshadow it either. I haven't seen it though, but I mean, as I said before, it doesn't look like a Tool show, where visuals well and truly are 50% of the performance.

But you know, with so many kvlt people on here, you're bound to get assumptions of the worst without it being seen :-p

I was focusing on Ringo all the time. And the girl dancer with great abs.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 08:51 PM   #1006
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
Also, NIMH, I just ordered that issue of Rockin' On Japan, and it shipped the other day. I'll definitely be doing scans of it when it arrives.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 09:23 PM   #1007
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
I'm getting a bit riled up, and I apologize. I understand that not everyone likes the idea of over the top visuals, but shouldn't you wait until you've actually seen the concert to make judgments? anyway.
I'm not in the group that's upset about the visual experience of the show. I don't think over-the-top theatrics and a good musical experience are mutually exclusive.
Old 2012.03.01, 09:34 PM   #1008
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'm not in the group that's upset about the visual experience of the show. I don't think over-the-top theatrics and a good musical experience are mutually exclusive.
I know, and I agree with you. My rant wasn't directed at you. Just about the topic/debate at hand.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 10:58 PM   #1009
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

To me its a "why not" situation? If that's how they wanna seal the deal then go for it. Haters gonna hate and all that jazz.
Old 2012.03.02, 02:27 AM   #1010
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

We all realize no one's saying this, ah fuck it.