Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.07.22, 05:05 PM   #141
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I think if a band's album sounds under produced because they simply can't afford otherwise, it adds to the charm. I hate it when a band under-produces an album on purpose though *cough* St. Anger *cough*. "We wanted it to sound like a band recording their first demo in their garage, only that band happens to be Metallica". Yeah, there is a reason bands move out of their garage, fool. Oh well, Bob Rock has long since packed his bags... sorry for being even more off-topic than the last few pages.

(And in no way did I just label Metallica as 'indie').
Old 2007.07.22, 05:15 PM   #142
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Wow, I had that icon a while back, seems you had that image ready for a while eh
I'm quite the pack rat, actually =P

Originally Posted by ShadyNook
It will be a full realization of what she wanted from forming a band, and will be the TJ equivalent of a Beatles 'White Album' which will get severe mixed feelings among the hardcore Shena Ringo fans. Arguing will ensue.
Arguing? On my EMF? Its more likely than you think!

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.07.22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 2007.07.22, 05:51 PM   #143
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
I think if a band's album sounds under produced because they simply can't afford otherwise, it adds to the charm.
Well, to you its a charm and to me its just not something I want to listen to. Although I have been getting into more indie bands recently, I guess because technology is become more easily acceptable. But really its not the quality that turns me off so much, is that alot of indie stuff is just weird because they want to be completely different from mainstream that they don't, in my opinion, focus so much on making something great, just something "different".
Old 2007.07.22, 06:03 PM   #144
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Well, it depends how low in production quality we're talking here. I don't listen to many unsigned bands that have bedroom recordings up on MySpace. But I listen to a lot of bands signed to a label, albeit a small indie label and the production is fine. This is where definitions of indie blur. Is it any band signed to an indie label, any underground band, any band of a genre that isn't typically popular, or as you say, any band that are typically unusual and weird.

The 'indie' scene is huge in England right now, and pretty much any up and coming rock band that isn't heavy and isn't punk/ska etc is usually ignorantly labelled indie. Stereotypical indie fans are usually music snobs, who only like the 'in' bands as chosen by NME. Bloomin' mods.

I don't mind unusual artists, if they're unusual for a reason and it works. I know exactly what you mean when a band tries to be different, and loses focus on actually being good. There are a lot of brilliant musicians about, who need brilliant song writers.
Old 2007.07.22, 06:08 PM   #145
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post

HAHA!

---

Kao oozes passion, and the awkward singing just makes it better.
Mirrorball and OSCA on the other hand, are my cure for insomnia.
Hirama's latest album is very cool; he's got a certain groove and sound that I like. If he's still in TJ I think the band would go in the direction of Kokoro, and maybe some mellow acoustic tracks with electronic flourishes. Something terrific without being oddball. *reality check* Okay I'm just dreaming.

Carry on.
Old 2007.07.22, 07:39 PM   #146
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
HAHA!

---

Kao oozes passion, and the awkward singing just makes it better.
Mirrorball and OSCA on the other hand, are my cure for insomnia.
Hirama's latest album is very cool; he's got a certain groove and sound that I like. If he's still in TJ I think the band would go in the direction of Kokoro, and maybe some mellow acoustic tracks with electronic flourishes. Something terrific without being oddball. *reality check* Okay I'm just dreaming.

Carry on.
yeah except that he had nothing to do with kokoro, that was written completely independently of anyone except ringo, who gave herself the challenge of writing a full song in one day to present to her family and friends as a gift on her birthday.
Old 2007.07.22, 07:43 PM   #147
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Well, it depends how low in production quality we're talking here. I don't listen to many unsigned bands that have bedroom recordings up on MySpace. But I listen to a lot of bands signed to a label, albeit a small indie label and the production is fine. This is where definitions of indie blur. Is it any band signed to an indie label, any underground band, any band of a genre that isn't typically popular, or as you say, any band that are typically unusual and weird.

The 'indie' scene is huge in England right now, and pretty much any up and coming rock band that isn't heavy and isn't punk/ska etc is usually ignorantly labelled indie. Stereotypical indie fans are usually music snobs, who only like the 'in' bands as chosen by NME. Bloomin' mods.

I don't mind unusual artists, if they're unusual for a reason and it works. I know exactly what you mean when a band tries to be different, and loses focus on actually being good. There are a lot of brilliant musicians about, who need brilliant song writers.
Yeah, I agree with you. I wasn't necessarily arguing what classifies "indie" genre as I'm not so good with genres anyway, but just the things I don't like about music that is labeled indie.

"There are a lot of brilliant musicians about, who need brilliant song writers."

That is very true. Thats the one of the things that comes to mind when I listen to some "indie" music, alot of the sounds sound good but they are just not put together well enough. It really makes me appreciate people like Ringo who write their own music because nowadays it seems that newer musicians lack enough knowledge of old music or more technical aspects of music asides from just playing their instrument.

But for the whole "indie" thing, I just recently started listening to a couple of indie groups because they are put up in a music blog I have begun frequenting.
Old 2007.07.22, 07:45 PM   #148
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
yeah except that he had nothing to do with kokoro, that was written completely independently of anyone except ringo, who gave herself the challenge of writing a full song in one day to present to her family and friends as a gift on her birthday.
WOW awesome! She's even more of a hero now that I know that . If she would do something like that, then that's even more of a reason to believe that KZK II is coming up after Variety . Or just wishful thinking ,; not to say that I don't like the new music, though.
Old 2007.07.22, 08:20 PM   #149
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Seriously?
I'm sure she had Hirama's style in mind when she wrote that though.
SR should write more tracks like that. So far no one says it's a bad track.
Old 2007.07.22, 08:39 PM   #150
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

lol..
kokorOWNED.
Closed Thread