Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.02.05, 05:55 PM   #151
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
EDIT: Shouso Strip has more Variety than the work of three people because Ringo is superhuman! She has no equal! I ruv her ^__^

Reviving an old Maou trend:

Cocco, Bonnie Pink, PJ Harvey, Mikami Chisako, Yuki Chikudate, Annie Clark, Suzuki Yukiko, and Chrissie Hynde are/were all better than the current day SR you love and come close to old SR in some ways.
Old 2008.02.05, 06:19 PM   #152
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

If you think any of their compositions were better than Kyouki and ADULT compositions, I can't argue or agree because that's just you. BUT, if they can only come close to old Ringo, then I can only say that Ringo pwns all of them for the mere fact that she can compose all her old stuff and all the latest stuff.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.05, 06:21 PM   #153
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Shiina Ringo was not some perfect goddess of music who could do no wrong. But she was brash, weird, aggressive, unconventional, confrontational and unafraid to take risks. Even when those risks didn't always pan out so well, at least we could appreciate the effort. I'll use Utaite Myori as an example: she took classic songs (some more classic than others, of course) and put her weird little spin on them. That album is just chock full of questionable track/style choices, but at least we could tack on some superlatives like "avant garde" and "diverse" and "daring" and enjoy the album for being so strange.

Nowadays, I don't even know what to think. She's like that one soccer mom who gets her hair cut at Supercuts and drives a big van and always votes Republican and bakes cookies for the swimming team cook-out and drinks a few too many Bloody Maries and continues to embarrass herself by singing Michael Bolton karaoke in front of teenagers who think "Who's corny yuppie mom is that?" Something like that.
Cosmo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.05, 06:37 PM   #154
Maou

If you think any of their compositions were better than Kyouki and ADULT compositions, I can't argue or agree because that's just you. BUT, if they can only come close to old Ringo, then I can only say that Ringo pwns all of them for the mere fact that she can compose all her old stuff and all the latest stuff.
It's when you factor in everything. Nobody has the whole package like old Ringo did, but they beat her in individual categories. For example, Cocco and Chisako are better singers while Chrissie and Yukiko do the badass guitar chick thing better than Ringo. Old Ringo is only a tiny bit above them because she was so weird, but current Ringo is bottom tier bore.
Old 2008.02.05, 06:51 PM   #155
HEDOfloe

But if you "factor in everything" then you are comparing the "whole package" which you said no one has like old Ringo so I don't agree with your first post. You should have just said that you liked what other women did in different categories instead of making a whole generalization about them being better than Ringo.
Old 2008.02.05, 07:16 PM   #156
Maou

I thought I did, but worded it into a way to start discussion with you. Howeva, old Cocco is > old SR. Old Cocco did everything old SR did, but with more soul.
Old 2008.02.05, 07:19 PM   #157
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The thing about "the whole package" tho, is that it counts nu-Shiina. To see Maou and Cosmo's descriptions of nu-Shiina make me wonder if the forums even need me anymore
Old 2008.02.05, 07:23 PM   #158
HEDOfloe

Well, I just mentioned in the random thread that I'm an English major, which is why I always have problems with the way people word things. Which, I guess this answers the question Jihad put to me that if I was into math or something. I've been taught to close-read, close-read, and close-read and that the author always means what they write, so to find symbolic meaning is to understand exactly what they wrote and not some artsy ideal or concept that people think poems and other literature seem to have.
Old 2008.02.05, 07:25 PM   #159
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Words
Old 2008.02.05, 07:39 PM   #160
HEDOfloe

Words are fascinating! You'd be surprised at the things people say or hint at without even noticing that they are revealing something.