Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.11.16, 01:09 PM   #241
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Just finished watching the GX Blu-ray, and my ears are still ringing. Holy CRAP. My poor neighbors....

Forget the DTS track, the PCM is where it's at. I've heard notes I haven't heard before, and I must have seen this concert 20 times by now.

Those complaining about the window-boxing haven't watched the whole thing. The medley after the credits plays full-screen (4:3 wide, so it fills from top to bottom but not from side to side).

Those complaining about the video probably aren't taking into account the various cameras being used, which differ widely in format. The hard camera on Muraishi, for instance, was never going to produce high-quality images. But a couple of the main cameras--those on Ringo center stage, and a couple from the stadium walls--have pretty good images that look better on BD. When the stage turns red it's a nice rich solid red. And the blacks---always my test of a good BD transfer---are deep and well-contrasted.

But it's all about the audio, which woke up parts of my Bose system that haven't been used in a long time. Wow.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.16, 04:41 PM   #242
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ I'm glad you appreciate the new audio mix too. But try telling that to the people who expected all the discs to look like the Expo disc (and don't tell me they were totally wrong in expecting this after the hype in the press release about it being done at "Lowe Digital"- the people responsible for the Star Wars blu rays :-p)/don't have a decent sound setup (which is a lot of people who ordered this box) :-p

I too, am totally blown away by the sound/don't really give a crap about it not being in 5.1. The stereo tracks here are totally amazing, on all discs except for the first half of Ringohan. One day I'll make FLACs for myself from them. But yeah- I don't blame those people for bitching- when you plonk down $250 on a blu ray set (of stuff you've already got on DVD) and realize 7 OF 8 DISCS are only presented in SD, you're gonna feel quite a bit disappointed (I was myself at first too... and this was before I'd heard any reports about the set to prepare me...).

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.11.16 at 04:48 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.16, 11:20 PM   #243
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So, as Glath noticed (yes I was childishly amused and just HAD to show everyone):

Name:  4l6z.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  109.1 KB
Name:  b25x.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  72.3 KB

$250 well spent

And yes, I did take this photo with a blanket over my head
Old 2013.11.17, 06:57 AM   #244
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

^^^ That's great. I noticed the fingerprints right away, but didn't know they were light-sensitive.

And yeah, I see your point about paying through the nose for upgrades of what was previously purchased. But that's what being a fan is all about.

I remember a Q&A with Bruce Campbell where a fan asked him if they were going to release yet another version of EVIL DEAD. Bruce said, "You got any money?" "Yeah." "Then you're gonna see another version of EVIL DEAD."
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.17, 08:21 AM   #245
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

When I initially saw a finger print I thought "Oh crap, did I smudge the box already?" because at the time I was eating. Then I came to my sense and thought there was no way I could have left such a perfect finger print.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.18, 04:16 AM   #246
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Did some rough calculation and found Ringo has composed/sung more than 200 songs. Real proud of her.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.19, 04:24 AM   #247
neoyume

neoyume pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Ohlala, thanks for the photos, I just can't wait to receive mine !
neoyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 06:59 AM   #248
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
There is too much Jihen referencing for my comfort right now... And as mentioned earlier, it would have been their 10th anniversary next year...

http://sadisticgossip.blogspot.com.a...ai_19.html?m=1

She says about the pattern of getting a new place for every commemoration (5th Anniversary: Budokan -> 10th Anniversary: Saitama Arena -> 15th Anniversary: Orchard Hall). In the end, I'm not sure, but I think she promises something else until her next anniversary (May 27th, 2014).
This seems to hint at there being some sort of Jihen 10th anniversary concert next year.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 08:57 AM   #249
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Were both videos directed by Kodama? (Of course they were )

As Fadedsun suggested, the video is cooler than the song. I was anticipating this collaboration because I've listened too Perfume's stuff (and a bit of early Capsule, but not enough to understand his/their sound) , but although I appreciate his chaotic bleepy blops, the vocals were too obnoxiously 'anime' for me to fully enjoy them.

I don't think SR brought enough vocally (like she does in 'Apple') to this song, but at the very least it's not Perfume vocals. This isn't why the song doesn't click with me fully, even if the different sound is refreshing in light of her usual collaborations. It's the song structure that rubs me in the wrong way: it's just too neat to make an impact -- too much "Ringo + Nakata = not much more" (and stereotypically Jihen, as if she really has internalised their style)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 02:42 PM   #250
deadgrandma

The song... Yeah its pretty meh. I can't even remember anything from it. Weakest collab this year.

Anyway, isn't it time to add all these releases to product reviews before the next lot of Jihen anniversary crap gets announced? :-p