Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.07.29, 08:26 PM   #21
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

See, maybe its cuz I'm not a "hardcore go to forums" Weezer fan to put two-and-two together. Its self evident that blue and pinkerton are a cut above the rest, but I never saw it like "blah get back to your roots" or whatever. (I think Red has its moments and kinda dig Maladroit.) But I dont think Shiina's shortcomings are the same as Rivers. While Weezer isn't as top-to-bottom good as they once were, its still in the same vein and for the most part un-alienating of the old mold -- unlike Shiina.

I dunno, if Weezer fans are like Shiina fans, I think they should take a page from Oasis fans. Every Oasis fan knows their first two albums are the best and will never be touched by any future release of theirs, but they don't bitch cuz Oasis still churns out pretty good music. Even if Weezer isn't as consistent, they still have good tunes.
Old 2009.07.29, 09:40 PM   #22
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yeah, from as far as I can gather, Weezer's music is in the same vein, but watered down, forced and shallow. Pinkerton came out in 1997, so it's been what, nearly thirteen years. And every time a new album is announced, Weezer fans hope they'll return to form -- but are disappointed time and time again.

It's probably like Shiina. Except some of us know that any of her upcoming albums won't be amazing as long as Phase 2 exists. And even though her newer music alienates some people, at least there's the hope that she is capable of doing her roots justice if she chose to (If certain tracks on SG are any indication)

Wow, I'm sitting here with a carton of tropical juice, and as I was typing this, I glanced right and my eyes happened to land on the ingredients label and on two words in particular: "Papaya, mango."

But yeah, soilnpimpsessions. That doll on the front cover looks like Shiina.
Old 2009.07.30, 04:08 AM   #23
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
if ringo did a stateside collab, sorry folks, but it needs to be with courtney love.
I'm not sure she even gives a crap about people like Love anymore. If she collaborated with a western artist it would probably be someone of the Burt Bacharach variety.
Old 2009.07.30, 02:35 PM   #24
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
if ringo did a stateside collab, sorry folks, but it needs to be with courtney love.
NO. NO. NO. I would rather hear jazz versions of old songs rehashed for the next 30 years of her career.
Old 2009.07.30, 06:32 PM   #25
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
NO. NO. NO. I would rather hear jazz versions of old songs rehashed for the next 30 years of her career.
are you kidding me? that seems a bit extreme, especially considering ringo's heyday was obviously influenced by both Kurt and Courtney...
Old 2009.07.30, 08:03 PM   #26
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

i think Osiris was being sarcastic
Old 2009.07.30, 08:59 PM   #27
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, that is hyperbole but I think that makes my point for how little I would want to see the collaboration.

And every time she mentions Courtney in her lyrics it does make me cringe a little.
Old 2009.07.30, 09:06 PM   #28
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

Although I have to say. I might be one of the few that adore this album though. Its just new material. I was kinda over Saito Neko, after HF although I loved it. But she just gave it a little twist, which she does pretty often

sometimes I have to remind myself that I will end up listening to whatever she wants to make if it isnt horrible.

Last edited by makenshiww : 2009.07.30 at 09:28 PM. Reason: word placement.
Old 2009.07.30, 09:16 PM   #29
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

OK when besides Gips is Courtney's name mentioned in Ringo's lyrics???
Old 2009.07.31, 02:15 AM   #30
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

In Genjitsu wo Warau =P
Closed Thread