Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.11.17, 02:32 PM   #401
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
for someone who called sanpunkan "boring, mainstream, and 0% Ringo," it is kind of funny you enjoy Karada, a similar song that is exponentially more boring, mainstream, and 0% Ringo (this was at least written by Ringo, Karada was by Uki).
A+ for effort kuro_neko.
Should I expect Uki to write a Ringo sounding song? No.
Should I expect SR to write a Ringo sounding song? Yes.
Do I know what Ringo sounding is? Hell yes.

By the way.
How is 3min similar sounding to Karada? Those two tunes don't line up in my head the way it does in yours. Tempo's different, melody's way different, and other than cadences I don't even think they share any similar chord progressions.

/the end.
Old 2009.11.17, 02:35 PM   #402
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
^ Yes. Song feels like a bath that won't run hot enough, and I usually put groovy Ringo on repeat. It's better than Variety but then so are many things. Kaban no Nakami's cool though, so I hope Izawa's on that kind of form for the B, but he's not why I came. Why's he being hit with flowers?
I think that simile is kind of accurate As I said earlier, I wish the song had 'more layers' like Omatsuri Sawagi, which was catchy, but continued to 'ramp up' as the song progressed. I feel that the 3min concept and this kind of song didn't jibe, I thought it would be more of a Koufukuron, or even a SG Superficial Gossip which had a 'rushed' feel (In a good way). Heck, Togatta Teguchi is three seconds more than this and that was more 'active'. I still think the chorus in this is great, especially the Uki + Ringo combination and the last bit, even if the 'Movin' on' 'Movin on' line reminds me of the RnB cliches that Uki often implements in his songs.

It's kind of amusing how these people make absolute statements based on their own preferences for Ringo's music. I enjoy reading different opinions, but now, Tokyo Jihad/justriingo are uninteresting, predictable trolls at this point. I like how justriingo retreated from their post and came bounding over to Jihad to high-five him when he posted, and insult the whole thread. Pathetic

Awite, won't drag the thread down with this XD
Old 2009.11.17, 02:40 PM   #403
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

;;snort;; so what is a "ringo sounding song?" because last time I checked this was entirely written by Ringo. it is this constraining line of thought of knowing what ringo's music should sound like that just leaves you disappointed release after release. she hasn't made music of the kind in her first 3 solo albums in years and doesn't really show sign or interest in returning, so as a fan you can look like the old geezer holding onto glory days of the war, or you can admit you simply don't like the work on its own merit and not because it doesn't live up to Ringo's legacy of "ringo sounding music."

I compared Karada to this song because the primary complaint is that it feels a little tepid and boring. Karada is my least favorite Jihen song of all time, its quite slow (boring), has a mainstream appeal and sound (the R&B elements), and *actually is* 0% Ringo, all the comments you made about Noudouteki Sanpunkan. If you don't like the single, you don't like the single, but it immediately made me go back to the members who supported Karada.

this song is 100% Ringo, if you don't like it, sorry, but this is what Ringo has composed and since it happens to be the lead-in single to a new album, I suppose the band probably likes it too. maybe you should consider turning in your fancard because all you seem to do is post to bitch and moan here.
Old 2009.11.17, 03:14 PM   #404
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I never heard Karada as mainstream R&B, that would be T-Pain or Beyonce, no? (actually earlier Beyonce/Destiny's Child is good pop, mainstream or not). It hearkens back to the 70s for me. If I were going to pay it a too strong compliment, not a million miles from some songs on RAMP's (Roy Ayers Musical Project's) Come Into Knowledge album. It's a respectable B-side, and a nod to the genre.

@Scribble: I was at a loose end once and run a load of Shiina Jihen songs through a BPM calculator, Togatta Teguchi was really near the top at 155BPM, it does do "rushed sound" well. Nobody's trolling though, hey, I'd just relax a little on that one. Need to sleeeep.
Old 2009.11.17, 03:23 PM   #405
kuro_neko

Beyonce and T-Pain are definitely more pop than r&b. if you go to a record store and check out the R&B second your more apt to find people like India Arie, Toni Braxton, R Kelly, Seal, Leona Lewis, etc etc, it kind of bleeds together at one point but Karada definitely has that bleh nasty Toni Braxton feel to it
Old 2009.11.17, 03:28 PM   #406
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

See, nowadays there's this 'Pop RnB Hip-hop' hybrid, but mainstream proper RnB artists still exist, like Ne-Yo.

You could also consider Karada 'rare groove'
Old 2009.11.17, 03:37 PM   #407
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
See, nowadays there's this 'Pop RnB Hip-hop' hybrid, but mainstream proper RnB artists still exist, like Ne-Yo.

You could also consider Karada 'rare groove'
or you could just consider it shit.
Old 2009.11.17, 03:43 PM   #408
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Yes, Karada could be rare groove (it isn't close to being shit, kuro_neko) and indeed I love real R&B artists, my next-favourite artist after SR is Minnie Riperton, and I really like Incognito, Amel Larrieux and Teedra Moses in recent years. Iwas just going on what little I've heard of the Top 40 lately as what's mainstream. Seal, Indie Arie and Toni Braxton are mainstream, but at least listenable AFAIK... Each to their own I guess. Really am sleeping now.
Old 2009.11.17, 04:11 PM   #409
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
^ It still is the best thing Uki's done for TJ. I'll give the song time though. I like it better initially than I did Ariamaru Tomi and SG Superficial Gossip.

Lyrics (Untranslated):
You're all alone
You're fixing ramen
You pour hot water in

Where are you thoughts wandering as you wait there?

Come back to life and be high

yarusenai sata yami wo
tameiki ni shite mujou
nageitemo toki wa danjobyoudou

seishin houkai senya
matte yo SUNDAY DRIVER
naitendattara kiki na
sainoukaika shita kimi wa
HITCH-HIKE no umai VETERAN PAPER DRIVER

sanpunkan de sayounara hajimemashite
See,yes I really am movin'on
gaikotsu wo nerae SYNTHESIZER
Hit!
RANKING no INOCHI wa mijikai

Come back to life and be high

yorubenai utsushi mi wo
tsukai furushite mujou
wameitemo toki wa onshinbyoudou

rettou houkai senya
matte yo DYNAMITER
TIMER kittara kiki na
aizoutaiha shita kimi wa
ROCK ICON kao make no NATURAL HIGH TIME

sanpunkan de sayounara hajimemashite
See,yes U really are movin'on
nouten wo hitase EQUALIZER
Rock!
MUSIC no KIKIME wa nagai

I'm your record,I keep spinning round
But now my groove is running down
Don't look back brother get it on
That first bite is but a moment away
When I'm gone,take your generator
Shock!
Raise the dead on your turntable.
Up,up and away!

Yoeko Kurahashi?

Last edited by Yahiko : 2009.11.17 at 06:52 PM.
Old 2009.11.17, 04:19 PM   #410
kuro_neko

Yahiko, it is as you wrote "naiten" although I'd write it as "naitendattara" as "naitendattara" is casual/slang for "naiteirundattara" which means "if you/I were crying" and then the "kikina" means "don't listen!"
Closed Thread