Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.09.14, 03:05 AM   #461
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Kurahashi Yoeko
Of all the artists all you guys listed, she's my favorite. I love her newest album "Iroiro" too.

I wasn't asking to see everyone's Japanese music "credentials"...I just wanted to see where you guys are coming from. And, in general, you guys favor post-1990 music. Even though it's hard to pinpoint exactly, I think Jihen takes a lot of influence from older, '70s and '80s J-pop. They're quirky and they don't have that post-grunge aggressive sheen. Whatever it is, I think they exist outside of what's been coming out of Japan for the past 20 years.

I don't know. Though I actually think you Maou and justriiingo would get along with some of the Keikaku writers/boarders, taste-wise.
Old 2007.09.14, 04:38 AM   #462
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
I don't know. Though I actually think you Maou and justriiingo would get along with some of the Keikaku writers/boarders, taste-wise.
What are you trying to do, recruit people???

Old 2007.09.14, 05:26 AM   #463
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I was there when Keikaku opened... I do get along with papa pantsu, perfectblue and Dasr just fine. In fact, Dasr is one of my favorite people on the planet.
Old 2007.09.14, 05:26 AM   #464
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

they don't have that post-grunge aggressive sheen.
For one immaculate, shining, release they did =(
If you could only indulge in a single Shiina release, it should be Dynamite Out
Old 2007.09.14, 06:57 AM   #465
HEDOfloe

What are you talking about? ADULT didn't have that.
Old 2007.09.14, 06:30 PM   #466
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Of all the artists all you guys listed, she's my favorite. I love her newest album "Iroiro" too.
I don't know much about her. I just chanced upon her music recently, and would appreciate any form of education about her and her music. Yoeko's voice gets on my nerves, just like SR's when I first started listening to her.

I don't know anything about 70s and 80s Jpop either. So I'm not sure what kind of influences you're referring to. You want to give us a few names and youtube videos? Is this influence solely in Phase 2 TJ or does it exist back in Phase 1?
Old 2007.09.14, 06:55 PM   #467
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Kuronekodo has a barmitzvah/Greek/Russian, thing going on. I was expecting a novelty style for this song, and got it.

Uki's Brian May imitation in Goldfish Box is great! Its the first aggressive rock song I've ever heard Izawa make. A mix of Blackout and a Queen song. Metro is my favorite from the samples. I'm liking what I'm hearing. Its like a lite version of Education or a mesh of their first two albums.

slowly my doubts about TJ phase 3 are fizzling away! Retro seems to be the TJ style. Its very good, but for obvious reasons, I'm not feeling the Ringo-ness in this album.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.09.14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 2007.09.14, 08:39 PM   #468
HEDOfloe

Argh, your post makes me want to go back and listen to them again but I'm going to try to hold out until the album's release. @_@
Old 2007.09.14, 10:35 PM   #469
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

I went to that page knowing what I was getting into. That its not really a Ringo album, so I prepared myself and clicked the links.

jeez, I feel like the minority for really liking what I heard. Given the circumstances of the album, its good stuff.

Well, one "bad" thing I can say is that this may be the band's most accessible album. It does sound very mainstream/radio friendly. TJ can finally assimilate with homogenized jpop. But I like homo-jpop quite a bit, so its not a problem for me.

lets see the trend here:

phase 1: Alternative rock
phase 2: adult contemporary
phase 3: Casey Kasem Top 40 pop
phase 4: ???

hey, MCR ripped off Queen's sound for Black Parade! but only old fuddys like me in their 20's would notice that. lol

Does anyone else think Kuronekodo sounds like a Go!Go!7188 song? Really. Really!

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.09.14 at 10:38 PM.
Old 2007.09.14, 10:44 PM   #470
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
Does anyone else think Kuronekodo sounds like a Go!Go!7188 song? Really. Really!
eh? You must be dreaming, drunk or deluded. It's far from it!