Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.08.03, 08:13 AM   #41
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

My copy's on the way!

I still don't get why torrenters download whole movies. I'm assuming these people feed the image into their TVs; otherwise, watching a whole movie on a computer monitor is like the definition of lame.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 08:21 AM   #42
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

torrent of this movie is such a shame. The thing is so gorgeous it should really be watched on an actual tv....

I need to pick this up soon.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 08:35 AM   #43
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't watch tv, so my computer monitor is way bigger than the tv I incidentally happen to own. Which means there's no reason for me to watch movies on tv. That would be so lame.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 08:37 AM   #44
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
torrent of this movie is such a shame. The thing is so gorgeous it should really be watched on an actual tv....

I need to pick this up soon.

I'll pick it up once a overseas edition or HK edition pops up, but right now I can't justify spending 50+ on the japanese edition....maybe if it actually turns out as good as they say then i'll reconsider

Plus, the only reason why I bought a laptop with a fragile LCD screen was so that I could watch movies on it
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 12:00 PM   #45
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
My copy's on the way!

I still don't get why torrenters download whole movies. I'm assuming these people feed the image into their TVs; otherwise, watching a whole movie on a computer monitor is like the definition of lame.
Originally Posted by Johnny
so my computer monitor is way bigger than the tv I incidentally happen to own. Which means there's no reason for me to watch movies on tv. That would be so lame.
Civil War, I'm with Mugg
Old 2007.08.03, 12:37 PM   #46
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I have my PC often plugged into a 27" HDTV, so movie watching isn't a problem screen-size wise. When I was at Uni though, I had no problem watching a movie on my 19" monitor. Plus I have a media shell for my external harddrive which means any media I put on it I can stream onto any TV. It has over 100 films and 50 tv seasons on it. Incidentally, I do not feel that I'm ripping anybody off as I have over 200 DVD's. If I like a movie enough after downloading it, I'll buy it. If I don't, well... I wouldn't have bought it anyway so nobody is losing out.
Old 2007.08.03, 01:00 PM   #47
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I prefer my 22" Diamondtron CRT monitor over most televisions. If you've calibrated the screen correctly, then SuperBright makes DVDs appear very beautiful and film-like, and if you sit fairly close to it, then it occupies the same amount of space within your field of vision, as a larger screen that's further away from you.

However, I don't use my computer-monitor-viewing preference as any leverage to undermine the quality upgrade of DVDs over "downloads" (or I should say that most downloads are a "downgrade" - har harr...). I'm a little uncomfortable with the stereotypes floating around, about what quality a "download" or a "computer monitor" is or has to be. Traditionally one or both of those are crap because the average consumer is cheap, impatient, and uninformed, and so the exceptions go mostly unnoticed because even if you're somewhat above average, the marketplace (and which inventory is being shoved in your face) is dominated by the corporate "winning formula" of what the masses are willing to pay for.

Asian DVD Club only allows DVD ISOs for their movie torrents. That tends to be 4.5GB minimum, per movie. If it hasn't been shrunk, then it's the exact same quality and behavior of the original DVD. As far as "downloads" are concerned, that is the way to go, unless you're dealing with anime that utilizes little or no computer graphics.

I grow weary of seeing people downloading 700MB DivXes and telling themselves it has preceivably "little or no difference" in quality to an original DVD, but on the otherhand I'm also tired of people who underestimate the (rarely maximized) potential quality playback on a computer screen. You can have quality sound blaring off of a computer too, but the "upper class" of the "computer speakers" market is dominated by bloated and overrated products like Logitechs, plus most people don't understand how evil onboard sound really is, so it's a double kill from a connoisseur perspective. So many people are sucked into believing that's as good as it gets (some thinking that quality is bad and some thinking it's great - when there's quietly marketed products of a whole different league), that I can't help but sigh a hurricane.

More people need to research before they buy/download, and before they judge the potential of what others 'could' own or download. You might call this trolling, but I say that discussion has at least as much of a place here as quality control advocacy for song-title/lyric translations (though I don't care about lyrics). There's some perceivable "snobbery" in that other arena just like what I'm spewing out of my mouth right here about audio/video, but it's understandable.
Old 2007.08.03, 01:21 PM   #48
cjhobbies00

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
If I like a movie enough after downloading it, I'll buy it. If I don't, well... I wouldn't have bought it anyway so nobody is losing out.

Damn straight, that's the same reason I use to justify my intellectual property thievery.
Old 2007.08.03, 01:46 PM   #49
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.
I pre-ordered the Sakuran DVD the same time I pre-ordered Killer Tune - early June, and I'm going to wait until the end of August before I watch it. If anybody spoils the movie for me (especially if they downloaded it), I will roxxor them in the face.

I stopped doing "Try Before You Buy" with Shiina Ringo at least a year ago. Then there's other Japanese artists I'm into who are so internationally obscure, I couldn't do that with them even if I wanted to, so that's all shifted my habits (but not so much my ethics) toward, throw money at material I've never heard before (including a minority that I could download), and complain extra loud if and when the material underwhelms me.
Old 2007.08.03, 02:15 PM   #50
cjhobbies00

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I stopped doing "Try Before You Buy" with Shiina Ringo at least a year ago. Then there's other Japanese artists I'm into who are so internationally obscure, I couldn't do that with them even if I wanted to, so that's all shifted my habits (but not so much my ethics) toward, throw money at material I've never heard before (including a minority that I could download), and complain extra loud if and when the material underwhelms me.
I've never done the try before you buy thing with Shiina, I just never buy her singles new. I make an effort to shop for them on ebay once in a while but they're just too expensive otherwise.

Goddamn I can't wait for the new album, Watch DO on stage6 yesterday and it renewed my fire for Rock Shiina. Hopefully Killer Tune is a sign towards the return of a wild and energetic Shiina.