Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.06.15, 10:39 AM   #531
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Aren't the Japanese fans bitchier than EMF? As in, really nasty? 2ch at least.

There's a ringohan message board, right? In some Sports interview, they said how message board fans were bitching about Hata's drumming ability so he jumped in there and headbutted them and told them what was what with his 'superior drumming knowledge', and I got the impression that they (the band) pat themselves on the back for doing that.
The only time I've heard Japanese complaining about any musician were my two times on 2chan. I love Japanese music magazines basically say "Everything is awesome!!!!" and people basically just listen.

「じゃあ百歩譲って『スポーツ』のクレームは聞いてもいい。でも『大発見』は、これだけはちょっと……お願い、ヤメてね?」っていう感じなんです。

三文ゴッシプを聞いてもいい、けどミドルエイジクライシスをやめてね :-P   また僕の心のメロディを自分にしてみてください。 拝見させます。

Old 2011.06.15, 10:56 AM   #532
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I've noticed that about Japanese reviews, as it goes. There seems to be -- AFAIK -- no Japanese equivalent of Pitchfork (not that I think Pitchfork sets the bar for good taste)

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Hahaha. I need a quote to believe that one. She's clearly delusional if she thinks anything on Sports is like Ariamaru Tomi. Especially when the band couldn't even play a good version of Ariamaru Tomi itself on tour.
It's still not what you're asking for, but here's obama 917's summary for anyone who wants to know what I'm talking about when I keep referring to Sports-era interviews

Does anyone know what they're talking about on 2ch with the latest issue of MUSICA?

ムジカ買ってきた

夜明けの歌に文句言ったのやっぱ伊澤だったw
事変の活動は今回で一区切り
ライブ以外の活動は白紙、メンバーそれぞれの活動に戻るらしい
ソロ復活がありそうだね。
Old 2011.06.15, 11:03 AM   #533
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I find it more difficult to believe shes talking about int'l fans/EMF when we almost never talk about Sports. Positive or negative.

Had she said "Variety" then there'd be no doubt she's talking about EMF :p
Old 2011.06.15, 11:04 AM   #534
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

All I got to say about the PV is WOW. I think this is the most over-the-top weird(in a wtf is this I LOVE IT kind of way) music video with Ariamaru Tomi for throwing expensive stuff down coming in second.

I think I'll say what my heart says...

MILF RINGO. With OVER 9000 martial art skills. Dat ball kick with very high heels~ and back kick at the end. Not forgetting those sexy spectacles.

KAWAII~~~ expressions!!! I don't think we have seen this side of her. =D

It's fun to watch Hata acting like a total kid. Uncontrollable urges.

Again with the microphone throwing at the end just like Ikiru. Still totally badass.

I can't believe that I really am a 17 year-old guy. I shrieked at this video like a 14 year old girl addicted to Justin Bieber.
Old 2011.06.15, 12:25 PM   #535
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Saw the Atarashii Bunmei-kaikavideo. Here are my thoughts:

This is the song whose title, correct me if I'm wrong, that Frecklegirl said translates to "Westernization" which I feel is apt because this definitely feels like a western song. It feels similar to Sora ga Natteiru in that it feels a tad homogenous, but I'm so hesitant to reiterate that because part of me thinks the band could use a little reigning in. Plus, there's still some extra character in the song that makes it sound like TJ. I'd also bet $100 that this song was a Sports castaway. It's a decent song with a more than decent video.

The following paragraph may not apply to everyone. My girlfriend often complains that I like, as she calls, "croony" music. Songs where the singers all sad or depressed or basically the music isn't all cheery. As I listened to the song I couldn't help but react that the song was too happy! Too darn happy. I long for the day when Shiina sings an upset or angsty song again, and that song be a single. I hold out a little hope for the album. That said, I did appreciate the groove going on under the track, with it's doomsday bass. It made the sugar easier to swallow.

The video is worthwhile, and it seems like someone felt the song was worthy of a budget. Maybe the band was trying to make a more "western" video as well? The airplane bit had reminisces of Foo Fighter's "Learn to Fly" and I thought overall the video felt like a newer-age Weezer video.

THAT'S when it hit me. This song, and maybe even this band in general, is akin to Weezer these. The song definitely sounds like something off of Raditude or Hurley. Both Shiina and Rivers seem to want to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible and have even gotten into the act of tossing their songs out to pop acts. She's even wearing the Rivers glasses in the video, people! Of course that's a coincidence (but if not, let it be known I called it!) but I think this analogy holds up and allows me (and maybe others) to view the band or this song in an appropriate context. Tokyo Jihen: the Japanese Weezer! Why not?
Old 2011.06.15, 02:04 PM   #536
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Well, being the Japanese Weezer is a hell of a lot better than whatever Variety was.
Old 2011.06.15, 02:27 PM   #537
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The latter-era Weezer comparison is funny, because I thought Busted/McFly initially:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_K2ecZwt8E

It's not bad, but here's not enough Shiina Ringo 'gutting' the song like she does with a lot of her older material. Not that it's called for in every song. It does feel a tad homogenous though.

Controversy over the flag in video?

Last edited by Scribble R : 2011.06.15 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2011.06.15, 03:13 PM   #538
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I've noticed that about Japanese reviews, as it goes. There seems to be -- AFAIK -- no Japanese equivalent of Pitchfork (not that I think Pitchfork sets the bar for good taste)

It's still not what you're asking for, but here's obama 917's summary for anyone who wants to know what I'm talking about when I keep referring to Sports-era interviews

Does anyone know what they're talking about on 2ch with the latest issue of MUSICA?

I think this person said he/she read the magazine and tehere was sth about Yoake no uta (a talk about?), and TJ will end, there will be solo career again

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2011.06.15, 03:16 PM   #539
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'm pretty sure half of you complained about Senko Shoujo yet Atarashii is accepted? WTF? They're the same song almost
Old 2011.06.15, 03:41 PM   #540
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Not...really?

For one, the tempo is completely different.

It's pretty clearly a cheer song. I think it's justifiably overly-happy.
Closed Thread