Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.07.07, 05:09 PM   #581
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I don't really see the big deal with Ringo doing different music now. The only thing she's done that annoyed me in her solo career was the jazz KSK rehashes. It's when an artist constantly releases Greatest Hits and does nothing but milk their earlier and more successful music career that makes me seriously consider dropping them. Again, the closest she's gotten to that was the post-KSK/HF phase she went through. But when you look at the solo albums she's released, she's all about trying something different every time. And that's what I like in an artist. I could care less what genre they do as long as the music's still good. When Ringo starts doing endless rehashing of her other works and the creative well's run dry, then I'll have a problem. Until then, I'll just enjoy the music.

And to the people who hate Ringo jazz in general, I understand how you feel that she doesn't experiment with jazz the way she does with rock music. She doesn't. I'll admit that. However, I can't help but enjoy it. My love for Ringo's jazzier side comes from the fact that I just love that style of music. Period. But it's certainly not Ringo at her most creative. My belief is that while it's far from experimental, the music is still good so I don't really complain. I'd much rather hear an imitation of 1930's swing in the form of a new song than hear Ringo's whole discography again but this time... jazzier! Shit like that makes me feel ripped off.

This is just a bit of a side note but I agree with kuro_neko that I'd like to see Ringo's take on a rap album, especially if she did some rapping on it. I think that has a lot of potential. Songs like Torikoshi Kurou, Sigma, Amai Yamai, and Hayari really have me convinced of this. Rap and electronica are two genres I'd really love to see her explore more of.
Old 2009.07.07, 05:49 PM   #582
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NipponRock View Post
Someone with ten years in the business and two kids.
Yeah, pretty sure there is just the one kid, although for some reason some Japanese sites report there are two. But at Expo when they went through her life/career, they definitely mentioned her pregnancy that resulted in her son, and they would have done the same if she'd ever been pregnant again (and I kinda doubt she had twins and yet we only ever hear about the son and he was the only one to do a narration at Expo).
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 05:52 PM   #583
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

i understand that she's not breaking any new ground with touching on old styles, but i don't think you can just pass it off as "old music". the reason i enjoy it so much is because it is undoubtedly different when she does something like that as when anyone else does it. her own style prevails and that's what makes it interest to me. in the old-schoolish songs, the way the music goes around what she wrote changes so that it's not just old school. i think of all the orchestrated works she's done, tsumi to batsu is probably the one with the most traditional, familiar sounding thematic orchestration and it's probably my favorite performance because of the way the song is written. she's not writing frank sinatra-esque pop tunes to some grand orchestra, it's a different edge that draws me so much to what is already an established sound. to me, anyway.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 10:50 PM   #584
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

...at least no one made the snoot-tacular remark of "oooh this album needs to be listened to with GOOD headphones to be enjoyed" this time...
Old 2009.07.07, 11:31 PM   #585
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

actually....it kinda does. I let this stream through my laptop speakers while doing stuff around the house and a lot of the songs loose their spark without the nuances in performance. Yokyou sounds pretty weak coming from mid-level external speakers.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 11:37 PM   #586
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Woah, ho, woah, ho, woah, ho, woah, ho, woah (on and on and on) ho, (on and on and on), woah (on and on and on) ho, (on and on and --) I'LL JUST

And yes, my issue is not that she's doing jazz, it's that she's not doing jazz like she did rock music.

And I do wonder if her current direction is TJ's fault. If Phase 1 was still around, would things be different now?

If we had translated interviews, we'd know for sure
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 11:43 PM   #587
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
...at least no one made the snoot-tacular remark of "oooh this album needs to be listened to with GOOD headphones to be enjoyed" this time...
It's probably at least twice as true for KSK as it is for any other Shiina Ringo album. Then Shouso Strip is next. Then for all the albums aside from those two where people are saying "you need good headphones" - their declarations stem from the fact that $100 headphones are on-par with $1000 speakers, so guess which equipment they actually have? That's the reality.
Old 2009.07.08, 12:36 AM   #588
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Video needs more Mummy-D jumping backwards awkwardly.

I second the motion for more rap Shiina. As long as she doesn't team up with Verbal or turn into Da Black Shiina, I think we're okay. Maybe Snoop Ringo, a little bit of Kabukichou Love, Ain't Nothin' but an Odaiji ni Thing, Gin and Papaya Mango sort of thing.

EDIT: Ah, hell, California Love was by Tupac and not Snoop. Bah, whatever.

Originally Posted by imkookoo View Post
Pardon me being vulgar, but I want to fuck Shiing Ringo right there on that stage! (:
...Shiing?

As I first read that comment I was like:
(sarcasm) "Yeah, OK."

But after watching the video I was like:
(Lil Jon) "Yeah, OK!"

Nah, but it is tempting at times. Though it pains me to think it could very well be a wig.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 06:17 AM   #589
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
It's probably at least twice as true for KSK as it is for any other Shiina Ringo album. Then Shouso Strip is next. Then for all the albums aside from those two where people are saying "you need good headphones" - their declarations stem from the fact that $100 headphones are on-par with $1000 speakers, so guess which equipment they actually have? That's the reality.
Glath saying it is expected, if not understood. I meant some mouth-breather
Old 2009.07.08, 06:28 AM   #590
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Reading frecklegirl's translations, I was so off on some of the lyrics. Lol.

The lyrics are pretty clever, from what I can tell. She should write a book of poetry.

(Didn't she drop out of high school?)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote