Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.05.05, 08:16 PM   #601
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
Wait. Did she ever say "I don't like the music I made"? or was it more so "I don't like the person I was"? because I'm not getting this "I hate my old music" vibe that everyone else seems to be getting....
More like "I don't like some of the things I did as a young person," which to me isn't all that extraordinary to say or to think. She never says anything like "I wish I could be 21 again" but she also never says anything like "I never made good music when I was 21."

Her branding as a young star really marked her for life, and until she retires I think she will always to some degree downplay that branding just so she can get on with her new work.

I think what makes her so fascinating is that she's an erotic icon with talent and wealth, and she can do whatever the hell she wants. She can put on 40 pounds, or even worse, butcher herself with plastic surgery, and she'd still have a career writing and composing. She can give up composing and performing altogether, keep herself pretty, and years later she can do a Pink Lady-like nostalgia tour. Or she can just quit. Or...she can do what she's doing, a little bit of everything.

EXCEPT...she's not one of those variety-show whores. Not yet, anyway.

And re: s3r3nity's comment above about turning to "dark" subject matter because of the earthquake. The way I read her comments on that is a bit different than clakaz's, but the bottom line of both our interpretations is, she is preoccupied now with the idea of the end of the world becoming real.....and since she's on record saying that, I think we have to anticipate any new material as coming from that mindset. Not the new single, of course, but afterwards.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.05, 10:49 PM   #602
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'd be surprised if SR is disowning her entire discography in favour of Variety and Sports. That doesn't make sense. It's not as if Sanmon Gossip was a change of sound for her either.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.05, 11:05 PM   #603
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
Wait. Did she ever say "I don't like the music I made"? or was it more so "I don't like the person I was"? because I'm not getting this "I hate my old music" vibe that everyone else seems to be getting....
Yeah, true. I do feel like I'm over-reacting a bit heh. But it's just weird, because I feel like the music she made was all part of the package of her persona back then. The feel of her music was rebellious just like the image she gave off was. So I guess it's easy to group her personality and her music together.
It's hard to know what she really meant too, with stuff being lost in translation.
Old 2011.05.06, 12:38 AM   #604
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

But I seem to recall she did recently say SS and MM are "demo tapes"? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think she said that.
Old 2011.05.06, 01:13 AM   #605
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

CD Japan claims they are already in the process of shipping the single out.
Old 2011.05.06, 04:35 AM   #606
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The whole hating old stuff is just bullshit rockstar bullshit. She'll prob 'regret' make the stuff she said now in 10 years time when she's making space rock

Also @Glath: Yes, I saw the same thing too, weird thing is that all the Jun Togawa re-releases (also meant to be out on the 11th are also "in shipping process"), maybe they got a stack of releases from that day early.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.05.06 at 05:53 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.06, 07:41 AM   #607
day

day pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
But I seem to recall she did recently say SS and MM are "demo tapes"? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think she said that.
Even if she did, MM and SS are full of songs you can find on her early demos. That might be another one of those things lost in translation.
Old 2011.05.06, 08:09 AM   #608
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by day View Post
Even if she did, MM and SS are full of songs you can find on her early demos. That might be another one of those things lost in translation.
All songs begin as demos so I don't think that's what she meant... from what I remember the tone of her comment was negative. The true meaning could have been lost in translation or my own memory... I think it was kuro_neko who mentioned that interview so maybe he can correct me.
Old 2011.05.06, 02:12 PM   #609
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think it's different though. The SS and MM songs started out as demos that she made on her own. Then she submitted them to record companies. Now that she's under a record company, all of her demos go through them when they're made. At least, I think that is standard practice.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.08, 06:38 AM   #610
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

SR hating her old self validates me hating her new self (and the band).