Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.09.08, 11:43 AM   #6991
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Elis Regina - Cais

Which leads me to this outstanding fretless bass version by Pedro Aznar of the same song, written by Milton Nascimento:

Pedro Aznar - Invento el Mar (Cais)
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.08, 11:46 AM   #6992
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

@SuperficialFan: I much prefer late 80s/90s pop like Black Box and Inner City to big commercial rar Gatecrasher / Ministry of Sound type house as well, the former is what got me into the genre while the latter doesn't qualify as music. While I'm posting old stuff, I used to outright adore this Lenny Fontana track which is also very discoey and has the same vocal sample as Black Box.

UK garage is probably more a common denominator of the rest of that mixtape as house however... Or bassline...(?) I'm losing track of what's what if I was ever knowledgable at all. DJ Q's garage show on BBC 1Xtra could be a place to follow up since he is on there. You should be able to find things.

For Todd Edwards, I know (and like) his Nervous Tracks compilation and some of his remixes. The Kim English track is an original composition but it sounds like it samples old disco. Just don't let him subliminally brainwash you into a religion

Originally Posted by ChickShhh View Post
Awwwwwwwwwww........ The tune is good as well.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.09.08 at 12:01 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.08, 04:31 PM   #6993
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
Thanks a lot EmilScherbe! Sadly, I can't find the original; The Byrds' song is a complete different thing regardless of sharing lyrics with the Japanese one.

The version that TeslaGuy posted was first released as a bonus track in the album Hanadairo, Orient is mostly a compilation/collection album.
Toyama Yuzo is classical music composer.
According to his official site, first public performance of this song was sung by opera singer.

I found folk singer
Takaishi Tomoya's version in 1967.

There are several clips of Zülfü Livaneli's another composition
JOAN BAEZ -KIZ ÇOCUĞU

and also Fazil Say's yet another composition
Fazil Say - Kiz Cocugu(Nazim Hikmet)

both sung in original Turkish.

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2011.09.09 at 03:29 AM.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.08, 07:47 PM   #6994
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

W
Synergy - Sequencer (1976)
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.08, 09:08 PM   #6995
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
I found folk singer Takaishi Tomoya's version in 1967 on YT.
I found it. It sounds closer to Enka in my opinion, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I like both, even though they are really different.

Takaishi Tomoya's version reminds me slightly of THIS folk enka song performed by an Argentinian nikkei called Mariela Asorey Yagi. Well, I wanted to ask if you are familiar with it, I still can't figure out what's the name of that song and I like it a lot.
By the way, here is my favorite Japanese cover from her, more precisely Nada Sou Sou; her Warabigami cover is also very nice, not only because I'm familiar with these songs but specially because her singing/voice is really something to my ears.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.09, 02:46 AM   #6996
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Kraftwerk on shamisen The Man Machine
Old 2011.09.09, 03:04 AM   #6997
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

Our earth is so warped as I only know Pedro Aznar as guest vocalist of Pat Metheny Group.
Old 2011.09.09, 04:25 AM   #6998
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

Hajime Chitose - Kono Machi

Theme song for Asadora No.67 Manten in 2002.

Will Asadora No.85 Carnation have good theme song ?
Old 2011.09.09, 06:42 AM   #6999
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
That's just... so unfair! St Vincent is a forum darling and the reaction of non-fans might be to react that she's overrated, and she's hit or miss for me, but I don't get how Human Racing, The Apocalypse Song or the middle bit of Marry Me (for example) fits those descriptions. She sets herself apart from a lot of Pitchfork indie precisely by having catchy melodies, chromatic chord structures and an interesting voice...

Pitchfork indie isn't horrible by the way, it's just the musical equivalent of drinking very very diluted orange squash.
Actually... you're 100% correct, that isn't fair. I haven't heard any of those three songs except maybe Marry Me a long time ago. I didn't even realize the album Marry Me existed (thought Actor was her debut, silly me). Shows you how much I know. I'll give it (and the new one) a proper listen at some point, in an effort to be objective, but I can't say I'm that optimistic. I really didn't care for Actor. The only track I found mildly interesting was Marrow, if I recall correctly, and still that song didn't really go anywhere.

Listening to the sounds of a bustling city rearing to take on the day coming in from outside my bedroom window.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.09, 07:09 AM   #7000
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I listen to the albums like twice each, they are both typical albums to use against other artists albums. (you know- "oh st. vincent (or whatever stupid y artist) is sooo much better than x [x who is obviously better, but isn't 'cool' anymore"] so listen to her instead). Said people listen to St. Vincent, thinking they are right.

However, x artist is still x artist. You can try to replace x artist but, it will never be x artist.

You probably know who x artist is by now.

I'm bitter. But I fucking like being bitter. Suck my hairy nads.