Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.07.13, 11:11 AM   #731
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

lol I won't be. Promise!
Old 2008.07.13, 06:26 PM   #732
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Has everyone here played Final Fantasy IX? I just started playing it today for the first time ever and, although I've only played an hour, I'm absolutely floored by it. I think the whole concept it's amazing. I even laughed out loud during a certain scene. My cousin and I always have arguments about the series because I'm a Nomura fan and he's a Amano fan and this was one that we hadn't been able to really argue about since I hadn't played it. Basically, he said that since 7, the series has been a lot more sci-fi than fantasy and while I agreed, I didn't really see the extent to which this was true. When 12 came out, we both loved it and I saw what he meant by it, but for me, the non-nomura games were never as appealing because of not having a character that attracts me so much as the Nomura characters (Although Fran and Balthier from FFXII are awesome). So FFXII has an almost Shakespearean story unlike the more "drama-queen" stories of FFVII, VIII and X. IX, on the other hand, so far has a very interesting and even whymsical story and the whole worl just has a different air than the Shinra/Sin infected worlds of before. I still have yet to see how it unfolds, but I doubt it will come to all of that.

So I was just wondering what do you guys think about FFIX? It may very well end up being my favorite FF ever even without the Nomura characters and I never hear it brought up in discussions about the best of these games. It was always 7 or 8 or 7 and 10 for the most part. People act as if IX never happened. I guess the Nomura games are just more mainstream. Every time he hasn't been in it, the games seem to be forgotten. I have daymares when I think of people who said they just stopped playing FFXII because they got bored or some other nonsense like that.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.13, 06:33 PM   #733
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I haven't played Final Fantasy IX since it came out, so I really can't remember much about it. I remember liking it, heck I even remember preferring it to VIII I'm sure, but I have much stronger memories of VII and VIII because I've replayed them about 3 times. I don't know why I never replayed IX. I should!

Edit: Actually, I put the IX disc in a month or two ago. I just remembered. I totally forgot how the game began and it was bugging me at Uni so I came home and played the first few minutes then turned it off satisfied :p
Old 2008.07.13, 06:50 PM   #734
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

FFIX is easily my favorite of the PSX FF's (and onwards) maybe even my favorite of all of them. It was a BLAST to play, easily the most fun I had in an rpg. The grinding was actually fun. The ability system in IX is way more fun than materia in VII. And for a change, the characters were charming and empathetic.

All the Nomura FF characters are always so aloof and bastardly that I couldn't give a shit about em really (FFX, im lookin at you.) But IX has characters you actually LIKE and want to see succeed. But because they're not big-titted, sexy, built, humans, and inmstead fanciful (as if the word Fantasy had something to do with the game...) most FF gamers look right over it. Which is sad.
Old 2008.07.13, 07:02 PM   #735
Inaudible-Whisper

Yeah, one thing I do remember is the really nice characters. Zidane is by far my favourite protagonist and Vivi and Steiner are wonderful. Garnet I couldn't care less about and Kuja was pretty weak, but overall most of the people were likeable which was important. They weren't as complex as, say, those of VIII but Zidane > Squall so
Old 2008.07.13, 08:43 PM   #736
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Ok, that's more or less what I expected from you guys. So what did you think of 12 then?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.13, 09:06 PM   #737
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

i absolutlely loved FFIX it was perfect after the realistic approach of VIII and i enjoyed the abilties system a hell of a lot more than VIII's crappy system where you had to draw magic from enemies constantly until you were able to make it from the magic stones/scales ect.. though i did not like the card game in IX there did not seem to be a worthwhile reward for all the work unlike VIII's where it was near essential to master the cards.. still i think IX was a great game especially the cut scenes which were awesome to watch (the Alexander & Bahamut scene stands out for me) i only finished it once because my disc 4 broke but given the chance i would have replayed it as i have with just about all the others (besides XII)

as for FFXII i though it was graphically the best (obviously) and i loved the characters.. Fran especially!! the voice acting which i initially dreaded turned out to be quite brilliant i thought both Fran & Balthier were stand outs for me and helped cement their identities.. i also loved the opening war scene which was utterly epic and reminded me of Star Wars i thought it was a little difficult overly in some places.. this plant boss in the Viera forest was a total nightmare to beat!! i did like the Judges though they were pretty cool.. though i thought the end boss was total garbage it was just a mess and that let it all down for me.. it was a 10/10 game for me but i have not felt any urge to replay it yet..
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.13, 09:37 PM   #738
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Never played 12 cuz it looked like shit =p

(i dont mean graphics)
Old 2008.07.13, 09:40 PM   #739
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Never played 12 cuz it looked like shit =p

(i dont mean graphics)
.. seriously it's alright you should give it a go.

ADDED: also what is everyone's top 5/10 games ever ? i'd love to know what everyone else likes

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2008.07.14 at 12:38 AM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.14, 01:42 AM   #740
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

12 was awesome, imo.
And I only played less than 10 hours. It was such a refreshing experience, for a Final Fantasy.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote