Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.11.02, 07:59 PM   #7991
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

As much as I like loveless, once you've heard Farewell by Boris it just seems weak... Blasphemy?

Edit: come to think of it, Boris make a lot of their counterparts sound weak. For example, no doom album I know come close to the dizzying, crushing riffage that is on Amplifier Worship.

Yeah, I like that band :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.11.02 at 08:14 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 07:46 AM   #7992
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Boris is a major major band in my view*. I never was really into MBV. I saw them once and this guy with a goofy mohawk kept jumping off the stage, getting back up, taking a bow, and stage diving again, during what I think might have been a supposedly devastatingly intense wall of sound sort of segment of one of their songs. He was being a prick, but it also amused me to some extent, because I had read interviews where they were like: yeah, this one section of the song has given people acid flashbacks, and a lot of people just can't handle how extreme it is. Again, I'm not absolutely certain, but I think this was the song, and it just punctured that whole pretense.

Also, this was back when I was still smoking weed, and I had brought my best effort at a joint with me, but I somehow never learned how to roll a proper joint (never in the boy scouts) so the thing was practically burning up in my hands. Somewhere near me was looking over at me hopefully, and the only reason I never shared it with him is that it was burning down so quickly--plus it would have been embarrassing. ("What kind of joint is this, man?!")

*Usual caveat though: I don't actually even like that much rock, even the classic stuff. Some days I think I don't even like music that much, which of course isn't true, but when it comes to just about any genre, I find myself saying: I don't like most of x.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 09:30 AM   #7993
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Lydia Loveless - More Like Them
Old 2012.11.03, 02:44 PM   #7994
Superficial Fan

Zaki Ibrahim - Something in the Water
Old 2012.11.03, 05:56 PM   #7995
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Spinning the new Ayumi Hamasaki release. After getting over the fact that it's a glamorised maxi-single, rather than a "mini-album", gotta say it's got enough going for it that I'm actually excited to see what the next in the "mini-album series" is gonna turn out like. Score 1 for team Ayu :-p

And yes, I am talking about Ayumi Hamasaki without being sarcastic. I actually like her trashy blend of Jpop. Gotta have one uber trashy jpop whore, she's my choice.
Old 2012.11.03, 06:00 PM   #7996
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

You have more than one though, deadgrandma =p

Hey dg, I listened to the new Converge album earlier. Dug it alot! But after listening to it, I don't see why you scoffed so hard when I recommended last year's Fucked Up album. I hear plenty of similarities.
Old 2012.11.03, 06:05 PM   #7997
deadgrandma

Hey come on, I still gave them a try and enjoyed them in the end :-p

But other than being labelled "hardcore punk" I think the similarities end there for them. Converge are heavier/faster/"techy" and closer to metal to my ears, whereas the Fucked Up album I heard (David Comes to Life) is more narrative/concept heavy. Sure you might say that All We Love We Leave Behind is narrative, but not in the same way Fucked Up's album is.

Both are good in their own way, I'm just a Converge boy since high school, they really are the kings of their genre. :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.11.03 at 06:11 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 06:16 PM   #7998
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Sorry, didn't remember you saying you enjoyed them. I definitely agree, Converge is faster and more proficient where Fucked Up is more "Smashing Pumpkins with a hardcore vocalist"
Old 2012.11.03, 06:23 PM   #7999
Superficial Fan

Default Donald Fagen - I'm Not the Same Without You

Donald Fagen - I'm Not the Same Without You
(New, incidentally.)
Old 2012.11.03, 06:25 PM   #8000
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Sorry, didn't remember you saying you enjoyed them. I definitely agree, Converge is faster and more proficient where Fucked Up is more "Smashing Pumpkins with a hardcore vocalist"
Well anyway, the new Converge is sitting on either 2 or 3 in my top 10 of 2012 list right at the moment. It has 2 other tough contenders that you can most likely guess. At least my number 1, I went on about it enough :-p

Waiting for that new Boris release, it may be a late entry crusher. It is meant to be one long song afterall... and that's what Boris are best at....