Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.08.05, 06:46 AM   #811
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
ringo isn't so revolutionary for her style of music as much as she is for what she had to say when she hit the scene.
How dare you say something like that.
Her music was revolutionary. She made pop music that was interesting for laypeople and musicians to listen to. I'm sorry you couldn't hear that and had to take a clue from the lyrics, while deep, moving and beautiful, just can't move people the way music does.
Old 2009.08.05, 06:47 AM   #812
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
This is what Sanmon Gossip should have been:

1. Ryuukou
2. Roudousha
3. Mittei Monogatari
4. Shun
5. Zero Chiten Kara
6. Gamble HF
7. SG Superficial Gossip
8. Tamatebako 1+2
9. Hatsukoi Shoujo
10. Togatta Teguchi
11. Bonsai Hada
12. Ariamaru Tomi
13. Yokyou

14. MaruSad
drop Ryuukou, Roudousha, Mittei Monogatari and Maru and I'm be all over that. I don't know about rivaling SS, though...
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 06:55 AM   #813
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
drop Ryuukou, Roudousha, Mittei Monogatari and Maru and I'm be all over that. I don't know about rivaling SS, though...
Those four and Togatta save SG for me! Also give or take Gamble HF. I'm not entirely sure about that one, either that, Mayakashi, or Ii Karada.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 10:00 AM   #814
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Even though I do like the album version with the guitar more so than the Expo's brass, I agree with this. To me it sounds controlled to the point that it has no life. It would be nice if it felt live and energetic instead of controlled and dare I say it... dull, but I can't change that.
So it sounds like the production of every single Phase 2 song?
Old 2009.08.05, 12:04 PM   #815
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
How dare you say something like that.
Her music was revolutionary. She made pop music that was interesting for laypeople and musicians to listen to. I'm sorry you couldn't hear that and had to take a clue from the lyrics, while deep, moving and beautiful, just can't move people the way music does.
ummm, chill out. my point is that sonically, ringo's music at the time of MM and SS, when she debuted and exploded, wasn't anything that had never been done before. she took cues from musicians who came before her, as well as various foreign counties such as the UK. she didn't make a splash because she was the first chick to play electric guitar or sing out of megaphone. she made a splash because of her total package, her image, her attitude, her lyrics, her persona, her music. it got to such the point where people thought she was a prostitue and a total freak during the SS period, so much so that she had to "kill" the Ringo personality (remember the Ichijuku no Hana video and the end of Baisho Ecstacy? KZK is pretty much about death and reincarnation as well...) I'm not saying she is not revolutionary, she is, Ringo completely changed the music industry. But it wasn't because of her skills as a pianist or guitarist, it was about her entire being as a persona.

this is why she gets compared to bjork. bjork is equally about music as much as she is about a total package of appearance, persona, and performance art. its not one or the other which is better than the rest, its a total culmination of all of the above which catapults her past all her contemporaries.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 12:09 PM   #816
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

SG's Yokyou is just a step up from Variety for me. The Superstar comparison is surprisingly accurate.
Old 2009.08.05, 12:10 PM   #817
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

kuro neko: I'm not asking this to antagonise you, but out of general curiousity -- how exactly did Ringo change the Japanese music industry?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 12:40 PM   #818
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
kuro neko: I'm not asking this to antagonise you, but out of general curiousity -- how exactly did Ringo change the Japanese music industry?
ringo altered the guidelines for what was consideredd marketable and mainstream. she took genres usually left on the side lines, in the foreign market, and on indie labels, and mish mashed it all together with a unique persona and voice and achieved huge success. it was a huge slap to the industry, kind of a wake up calling, signaling that the time where idols reigned supreme was going to slowly change. like I said, ringo isn't revolutionary for what she did as much as the fact that she made it sell. the idea of what a pop star meant was completely altered. even trashy stars like koda kumi owe some gratitutde to her, songs like Taboo and her racy pop numbers would probably be still mostly unacceptable if Ringo didn't slut it up years ago. Now you have all these pop rock idols like Anna Tsuchiya and Yui and such. Don't get me wrong, but this is a perfect comparison to Tori Amos in the 90's. They told her to take all the pianos off her debut album and replace them with guitars. She refused and she changed the industry, following in her wake was a whole load of piano singer songwriter women, treading in her wake. Ringo is the same.

I don't think ringo is marketing genius, I just think she is one of those lucky few who had all the right components align perfectly in unison for a smash success. the cherry on top was her voice. the fact that such a voice could even reach that amount of success at the time was astonishing. If Ringo only reached moderate success it would be a different story, but the fact that she did as well as she did is what changes the picture. SS was pretty much the number 1 album of the year it was released and continues to sell well. You can compare her to other lesser rocker chicks and the comparisons might work on a sonic level, but what seperates Ringo was her unique ability to actually succeed and change *the mainstream*. If you don't care about mainstream pop though, obviously it doesn't matter too much.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.08.05 at 12:44 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 01:37 PM   #819
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Comparing Shiina to Tori Amos assumes anyone ever gave a shit about Tori Amos If Shiina's claim to popular fame was being on an infomercial compilation album with Enya tracks, maybe.

And I like how Neko essentially says he doesn't give a shit about the music.
Old 2009.08.05, 01:48 PM   #820
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Not taking any sides in the constant bickering you two do, but I don't think neko's talking about his own preference of the music -- just the impact Ringo had on the industry.

There are different realms in which you can impact an industry. Taking two specific examples: There's the Beatles route where they went all sorts of experimental doing music that wasn't really heard of before and completely change how popular music at the time sounded -- regardless of their image. Then there's the Madonna path, whose image was really front and center with her popularity. Her music, while good, wasn't anything that special or different from the rest of the music out in the industry.

Not to say that Ringo's music isn't the same caliber or on the same level of experimentation that The Beatles was, but her impact was felt by the Japanese populace more so in a Madonna way than anything else near her debut. Almost to the point that there was a stigma against her that hindered others to actually discovering how wonderful her music is.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.08.05 at 01:52 PM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote