Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.08.09, 04:12 PM   #821
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'm stuck with just a DS and PSP in Japan. My housing contract says it's forbidden to have a TV outside the TV lounge and it's also forbidden to hook up a console in the TV lounge.
Buy a video capture box (can hook to a computer via firewire), and use a laptop screen effectively as a TV, for console-gaming purposes. The good capture boxes will cost just as much or more than a PS3 itself, though.
Old 2008.08.09, 04:13 PM   #822
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I think I might survive. I can probably get by playing Street Fighter 4 and Tekken 6 at arcades. However, I might decide to push my luck by hooking up a 360 and Rock Band.
Old 2008.08.09, 04:26 PM   #823
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Hooking up the 360 in the TV lounge would be too easy, and possibly too risky. Just get yourself an LCD monitor with HDMI input and HDCP support. It could even be 24+ inches, and you could place it in your room as if it were a TV. If anybody reprimands you about it, you tell them it's strictly a 'monitor' (with no TV tuner), for 'computers', and that modern day console systems have basically become computers in their own right. It's plugged into a console system the same as it could be plugged into a more traditional 'desktop'.

In fact, you could have an actual desktop, and the monitor could have multiple HDMI inputs for you to optionally switch between, one of which is being used for a console system. If it's a PS3, I'd put Linux on it (even though I hardly use Linux), just to make my point even clearer. And no matter which console system you have, keep a pair of physically separate speakers around - they make the 'monitor' claim more legitimate.

That's what I would do, because I prefer having the leverage to tell people off, who think they have all the legal grammar they need for controlling everything.
Old 2008.08.11, 03:12 PM   #824
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Anyobdy else bought Braid for XBox Live Acard?

This game is INSANE!

You can actually feel that you move through time itself. Although the game is clasic 2D I'd say it's 3D, because the movement through time plays such a major role... you can't describe or understand it if you haven't played it.
The "level 4" shows how brilliant level design can be, and makes some knots in your brain. And they are still in mine, and it feels weird.

Seriously, if you have any money left, buy it.

In addition to that it has a really nice presentation with smooth and beautiful graphics, and a wonderful melancholic soundtrack. Not to forget a story.
I don't think there will be an arcade game that comes even close to this in the next years.

Oh, and for me it beats Mario Galaxy easily. It's that brilliant.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.11, 05:09 PM   #825
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I played the trial of Braid today, though I will definitely be buying it. As well as being ingenious, it is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. If one game has to be put forward in an argument for games as art, this would be at the front of my list, ahead of Ico and Okami. There are more clever ideas in the demo than there are in the vast majority of games and it's the best 2D platformer I've played in over a decade.

As if the art style and Price of Persia style time rewinding wasn't enough, I was then gobsmacked to find awesome mechanics on each new 'level' such as time moving forward when your character moves forwards and vice versa, creating some brilliantly unique gameplay and puzzles, and also finally realising that to get to a high area I had to complete a jigsaw puzzle which has a ledge on it that I could actually use. When it hit me, I was like All of this within the trial. If you have a 360 you have to try it out. It's already in metacritics top ten rated 360 games of all time, and that includes all games not just Arcade.
Old 2008.08.12, 05:46 AM   #826
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

If one of you is still not convinced, look 1 or 2 minutes of the first, and then 1 or 2 minutes of the second video.
(I'd advise you to go to youtube to watch it in high quality)

Braid Level 3 (Spoilers of course)

Braid Level 4 (Spoilers of course)

This second video is the bese

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2008.08.12 at 05:49 AM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.12, 05:50 AM   #827
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

the art style of the game puts me off ? it just does not appeal to me whatsoever
(I'll stick with Ico & Okami)
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.12, 06:22 AM   #828
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Seriously, watch in on an HDTV and it is beautiful. It literally looks like a watercolour painting. Don't let crappy YouTube quality put you off. I don't like those vids though because they take away the whole point of the game - figuring stuff out. Rushing through it like that, people don't even get to see what the puzzle is, let alone how it is done. It makes it look fast and messy and that isn't the game at all. I don't think you can appreciate it until you play it, and if you have a 360 you have no reason to not download the trial.
Old 2008.08.14, 04:54 AM   #829
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'm not currently playing it but the best game ever for me was 'Steel Battalion' for the original XBOX!! I thought I was a Gundam pilot or something when I played this game it seems really daunting at first with it's giant controls but they soon become second nature and the game is so realistic and beautiful to boot as well!! you have to be careful though because if you die in the game once then it's all over no continues at all (just like reality) you can eject though if your fast which feels really frantic as if your real life was depending on it! I gave mine away last year after I was all done with it but now I wanna play it again if any of you get the chance to play it then go for it it's like the best Military/Mech simulator EVER!!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.17, 06:18 PM   #830
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Let it be known that CJ felt the wrath of LA today. That is all.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote