Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.06.07, 11:11 AM   #861
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Rap music definitely isn't what the majority of Ringo fans are into, and it's kind of the opposite of anything she has done before.
If I don't listen to rap music, it's because I don't like it much, so it completely spoils the song for me.
Old 2009.06.07, 11:36 AM   #862
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction

椎名林檎 旬
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVLdeo9luRY
Old 2009.06.07, 11:46 AM   #863
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Thanks a lot, I guess.
Old 2009.06.07, 11:55 AM   #864
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction

hey no it's not mine i just found it :p
Old 2009.06.07, 11:56 AM   #865
merman

merman is an asset to this community

The YT link for Shun comes with lyrics though, we didn't have those before did we? It might be useful for frecklegirl and other Japanese speakers although they aren't confirmed...
Old 2009.06.07, 12:14 PM   #866
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Rap music definitely isn't what the majority of Ringo fans are into, and it's kind of the opposite of anything she has done before.
If I don't listen to rap music, it's because I don't like it much, so it completely spoils the song for me.
It isn't the rap I have an issue with. I like every genre. It's just that Mummy D is more 50 Cent than Mos Def, if you know what I mean.

And it isn't technically R+B, I know that. But the song reminds me of the pop + RnB + hip hop/whatever fusion that is popular today. That Beyonce Shiina Ringo spoof video that Shinji made wasn't too from the mark

But Shun is still a quality song. I just wanted a more...epic opening from SR, and the fact that THIS opens the album makes me feel pessimistic.

And we have one more track from Mummy D. And guys, if you thought Ukigumo and Saito Neko were bad -- he may be their replacement! I await the "I miss Phase 2 " threads in the Main Forum.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.06.07 at 12:18 PM.
Old 2009.06.07, 12:38 PM   #867
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by merman View Post
The YT link for Shun comes with lyrics though, we didn't have those before did we?
Yeah, we had them already. Papilionidae posted, and they are probably as official as the ones in the Youtube video.
Old 2009.06.07, 12:39 PM   #868
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Vogue is awesome! This opens whole new doors for SR. It's just jazz-rap now, but SR's 5th album could come with a parental advisory sticker and have collaborations with Snoop Dog, Jay-Z, and P Diddy.
Old 2009.06.07, 12:48 PM   #869
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

It sounds like typical Ketsumeishi-esque Japanese rap. It doesn't sound anything like either Mos Def or 50 Cent to me at all.

However, their rap is full of nonsense phrases because their word structure doesn't allow for much rhyming and coherence. I'm not sure how Ringo fit that type of jumble into her literate lyrics. But the rap sounds OK to me and it isn't too obtrusive into the song. For me the actual Ringo part of the song gives off a very SS sound to me, and I really like it.

last.fm
Old 2009.06.07, 12:50 PM   #870
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Ohhh yeah Shinji, I forgot about those...
and I'd rather not hear SR collaborate with Jay-Z and P Diddy... haven't listened to this though. I guess I'll just wait for the CD at this point.
Closed Thread