Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.12.31, 07:46 PM   #81
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I drives me insane that every generic Jpopper I run into seems to think Rin5 hime plays heavy metal, when I try to introduce her music to them.

"So have you heard of this great muso, Shiina Ringo?"
"Oh yea, she plays metal music right?"
"....."
"Madness?.."
"Huh?"
"This!"
"What?"
"Is!"
"Wait I didn't say madn..."
"SPARTA!" *kicks*
Old 2007.12.31, 10:19 PM   #82
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah people have interesting perceptions of ringo because the media made her out to be such a freak during her SS period. No wonder why she fell off the radar for so many years after SS.

what gets me is you see pop stars transform into "rock" stars and they are still viewed in the same light, take Mika Nakashima or any of the other Nana artists. Because they are still pop, light, fluff.

the most surprising aspect of Ringo's music to most people are her lyrics I think. Usually people are surprised I like Ringo not because of her music but because her lyrics are so difficult to understand. I guess people won't like what they don't try to understand.

although it doesn't help that ringo goes on tv shows with ken hirai and agress politely when he claims she turned from a "sour apple" into a sweet one

booooooooo
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.02, 12:35 PM   #83
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

My friend's sister (who's a little older than me.. 28) came over to visit and loved SR/TJ's songs. I just had random TJ/SR songs playing in the car. After the car ride was over, she was curious and wanted me to send info about SR/TJ to her.

Probably the best way to expose people to SR or new music in general is in a casual setting. I found that many times if you sort of force music to people, they will be very critical. And in the case of SR, they will focus on the voice.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.02, 08:12 PM   #84
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
I drives me insane that every generic Jpopper I run into seems to think Rin5 hime plays heavy metal, when I try to introduce her music to them.
The best TJ songs to introduce to the generic Jpoppers are those written by Kameda.
I'm serious. They're so gonna looooooove Senkou Shoujou.
Old 2009.05.09, 01:42 PM   #85
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal
Default Have you gotten any family or friends hooked on SR/TJ?

My parents and my friends don't really listen to them but since I live with my sister it's inevitable that she hears my music. Whenever we're in the car, we listen to a lot of my music and a good portion of it is Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen related. After a few repeated plays, I began to notice that she was humming the songs around the house and I was like "Aha!" And now she's started to like some of those songs a lot.

I asked her what her favorites were and this was the list she came up with:

SR
1. Stem
2. Yokushitsu
3. Aisaika no Choushoku
4. Yattsuke Shigoto (KSK ver.)
5. Konoyo no Kagiri

TJ
1. Killer Tune
2. Kokoro
3. Yume no Ato
4. OSCA
5. Koi wa Maboroshi

So what about you guys?
Old 2009.05.09, 01:47 PM   #86
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

My sister really likes Ringo as well. Her favorite song is STEM, I think.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.09, 01:55 PM   #87
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

My sister's a pretty big Ringo fan. She plays all of her solo albums and bought her cover album. She hasn't really gotten into any TJ songs other than the ones I play a lot though.

My mum likes her too to a casual extent -- I was play some songs in the car and she seems to really like Sid to Hakuchuumu because she keeps turning up the volume at that song.

But neither of them follow music as avidly as I do, so they don't keep up on new releases and the whatnot.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.09, 02:06 PM   #88
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

my dad, who is a gruff fellow who pretty much only listens to Oldies, was said to remark after I was playing MM

"this chick had a good thing going until *THIS* one came up.." referring to the first three tracks leading into Koufukuron. He dug Tadashii Machi, Kabuki-cho no Jou and Marunouchi Sadistic. I thought that was pretty awesome

other than that my family has had a no-japanese music no-japanese names rules in my house, so I've been banned from naming my animals silly things or generally listening to japanese music when my parents are driving. when I'm in my own car, however, that is a different story. a lot of people remark that they think Ringo sounds cool but it usually doesn't go past that.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.09, 02:48 PM   #89
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Nobody likes what I listen to, so, no.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.09, 03:22 PM   #90
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I sent a CD with a great part of ringo discography... for a friend's mother (even if I've not a lot of friends, but we currently don't care, especially me).

Because this friend told me her mother has fallen in love when she played some pieces of Ringo on their HIFI. (ringo-bingo is right - two speakers/CD/Cassette/radio)

Since then I know there is another fan in my town, but not yet the opportunitie to know her. Does she is as addicted as I? I ignore that.

Last edited by teattum : 2009.05.10 at 02:04 AM.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote