Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.11.20, 04:10 PM   #9331
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

That's ok. I'm sure After School will have the lasting appeal that Pink Floyd or Cornelius have... :-p

Although you're right about Dark Side, Animals is way better.
Old 2014.11.20, 04:48 PM   #9332
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Pink Floyd or Cornelius will never have the lasting appeal of Korean legs!
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.20, 05:40 PM   #9333
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno man, Cornelius is sporting some nice legs too
Old 2014.11.20, 06:41 PM   #9334
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Turtle, I gently suggest again that you read Fifteen Years of Fantasma before re-listening. It will make more sense after you do so. I know of no other Japanese album that has had a series of well written English language essays published about it, and it seems silly not to take advantage of the wealth of information they contain. Especially since you are contemplating writing about Shibuya-kei, as the articles discuss that movement more than a few times as well. I could talk more about the album myself, but those essays already explain things far better than I ever could.

I happen to like his next album, Point, even more, but seem to be the only person on the planet to harbor that opinion. So maybe I'm wrong. Still like Point better.

DG, nope, you're just wrong. Dark Side of the Moon was the band's apex, its solid A, and their last truly collaborative effort. Wish You Were Here is great but A-, as sour, dour Roger Waters was already beginning to disproportionately influence their music. Animals is B grade, Pink Floyd's ( insert title of disappointing SR album here). Better than most other things released at the time, but sub-par Pink Floyd. Way too Watery.

Inseu, I admit that I cannot for certain figure out if your obnoxious, ignorant troll persona is a facade or truly you. I couldn't give less of a fuck about what you say in reply to my posts, but do wish you were less of a dick to other people.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.20, 06:46 PM   #9335
deadgrandma

Yeah, but Dark Side is like their OK Computer... universally the most acclaimed but noone I know chooses it as their favourite on their personal level. Though, no doubt Dark Side is the best choice for parties etc cause nobody hates it/would complain. Except for Inseu.

Surprisingly, the most times I ask my friends what their favourite Floyd album is I get "Meddle" as the answer.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.20 at 07:01 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.20, 07:09 PM   #9336
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I did read Fifteen Years of Fantasma, while I was listening to the album on my evening commute.
I just. don't. get it.

I'm not saying Fantasma is a bad album. But for me it's so obscure. Like, with KZK I want to explore every miniscule reference, every instrument, but Fantasma is just one big in-joke that only Cornelius gets.

But I'm going to go back on what I said. There are some tracks that I think are good "songs" and I am able to recognize them as "songs". I like Star Fruits Surf Rider and Chapter 8~Seashore And Horizon~. But even then it's like...most of the songs I didn't absorb. Those are the only two songs I can point out to you on the album. Everything else just kind of blends together in bloops and beeps and loops and samples.

Tomorrow morning is listen #3.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.20, 07:17 PM   #9337
deadgrandma

If you try too hard to 'get' something, you probably never will. Gotta ease yourself into it.

But it is a great album, just have to be patient with it, like most of his work that I've listened to. A much easier album to get into by him (kinda) is the Salyu x Salyu album -which I'm 99% sure you've probably already listened to.

It's not as tough as trying to 'get' than say, the later Scott Walker albums or Boris' 1hr tracks or anything though, so you do have that on your side :-p

I'm sure you'll be fine if you just slow down a bit and enjoy it at your own pace instead of trying to 'get' why it's considered such a masterpiece by music critics/fans. Or, maybe try something easier and come back to it- there's a LOT of Cornelius out there. POINT is probably an easier starting POINT lol. It's the first Cornelius album I got into. If you can't get into it, then at least you've tried. It will be like me and Animal Collective (or trying to understand the insane people who reckon The Birthday Party are infinitely better than the Bad Seeds :-p).

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.20 at 07:28 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.20, 07:52 PM   #9338
Inseu

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
Inseu, I admit that I cannot for certain figure out if your obnoxious, ignorant troll persona is a facade or truly you. I couldn't give less of a fuck about what you say in reply to my posts, but do wish you were less of a dick to other people.
Not everyone put KZK, Pink Floyd, Cornelius, and an essay about Cornelius on the pedestal.

I mean, if you need an essay to help you appreciate a piece of music, that's pretty hilarious.
Old 2014.11.20, 08:18 PM   #9339
deadgrandma

Also, adding to the blahblahblah about 'getting' things:

Once I said I couldn't 'get' Neutral Milk Hotel's first album On Avery Island.

Jihad (I'm pretty sure it was Jihad anyway) said to not dismiss and one day it would just 'click'.

And what do you know, eventually it just did. It may have taken 4 years, but now I find it almost as good as Aeroplane.

Hell, I even love Pree-Sisters.
Old 2014.11.20, 09:30 PM   #9340
Inseu

Snake Song