Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.09.15, 12:59 PM   #961
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I have my PS3 pad conencted constantly with a USB extender attached (cause the wire they give you is too short) the pad has worked fine now for just coming up to a year! forget the batteries and just keep them plugged in forever.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 01:00 PM   #962
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Shinji, both the Xbox 360 offers wired pads and the charger for both the 360 and PS3 can be kept in the pads at all times even during play, essentially making them wired unless you want to unplug. There is no need to keep buying batteries, or to have a pad made useless until charge. Heck the 360 pad works even with no batter pack in as long as the charger is connected.
I never played 360 or PS3, so I really don't have a clue :x
I was talking only about the Wii, but I'm sure there are other disadvantages like the RRoD in those 2 consoles. Obviously I don't know what they are, but...
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 01:00 PM   #963
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I'd jump in with some fanboy/elitist snobbery and declare something like "Hah HA! That's what you get for buying a Microsoft product!", but the truth is, I've heard about a similar percentage of PS3s getting 'bricked' as well.

Note: I do not yet own a latest-generation console system, but I plan on getting a PS3 at the end of the month.
Old 2008.09.15, 01:03 PM   #964
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I never played 360 or PS3, so I really don't have a clue :x
I was talking only about the Wii, but I'm sure there are other disadvantages like the RRoD in those 2 consoles. Obviously I don't know what they are, but...
As far as I know, the PS3 is a fairly sturdy piece of kit. It suffers from something, I haven't researched it or anything, I think it's a yellow light of death or something? Or maybe it's red, as it should be. Nowhere near to the extent of the 360 though. If you bought a 360 in store today, it'd probably last as long as a PS3. It's all these early ones (mine was a launch system) that keep dying. I think they sold 10 million in their first year, and the launch box has a 33% failure rate, so that's a lot of red rings. Most Wii's die due to dust smothering

Glath, you're right about the 360; there is no excuse, Microsoft rushed it (though like I said earlier, I think the benefits outweigh the hardware problems) but the original Xbox I think had one of the smallest failure rates ever (aside from power bricks setting on fire). Heck, they were even bulletproof. Seriously.
Old 2008.09.15, 01:05 PM   #965
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

it's good practice to vacuum your consoles with the little soft brush attachment to keep them ventilated.. also for the older ones with star screws you can easily pop them open and soft-vacuum all the dust!

EDIT: also good for PC's especially the fan and processor! just make sure it's turned off first!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 01:06 PM   #966
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Most Wii's die due to dust smothering
That sounds like the good ol' cartridge days. Leave it to Nintendo to keep the legacy going somehow.
Old 2008.09.15, 01:08 PM   #967
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Most Wii's die due to dust smothering
Er, are you joking? xD
Really, if that's true... it's a problem! Most electronic stuff gathers a lot of dust, shouldn't they have thought that better? Oh Nintendo!

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
That sounds like the good ol' cartridge days. Leave it to Nintendo to keep the legacy going somehow.
Ahah, true! x)
Old 2008.09.15, 01:10 PM   #968
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Er, are you joking? xD
Really, if that's true... it's a problem! Most electronic stuff gathers a lot of dust, shouldn't they have thought that better? Oh Nintendo!
Yes, I was referring to the fact that they're all gathering dust That can be a problem though, as Bongo pointed out. In all seriousness, I have no idea how the Wii hardware is. I'd assume it's fairly stable being that it's almost literally ancient. Heck the modding community got excited last week because they got it to play a DVD.
Old 2008.09.15, 01:21 PM   #969
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

You don't need a receipt, or an extended warranty or anything. Every single Xbox 360 in the world is eligible for free RRoD repairs as long as the silver warranty sticker behind the faceplate is still intact. Just ring them up and tell them your serial number. They'll even send a guy to come pick it up for free in a free box Is 7 days of gaming really worth $60?

Shinji, both the Xbox 360 offers wired pads and the charger for both the 360 and PS3 can be kept in the pads at all times even during play, essentially making them wired unless you want to unplug. There is no need to keep buying batteries, or to have a pad made useless until charge. Heck the 360 pad works even with no batter pack in as long as the charger is connected.
Well i just sent in my request, thx for the tip Whisper. I'll still hate the wait though.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 01:22 PM   #970
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Oh, but there are some neat games on Wii. Some!
I had Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess (besides Wii Sports) and all were lots of fun (especially TP). I suppose there are other good games, but yes, I am one to agree that Nintendo has been staying in the Kids market for too long now. It seems like they are trying to broaden the range again, what with that b/w game I forgot the name and Resident Evil, but I don't know if it will keep going that way.
They already tried something similar with the Gamecube, releasing MGS Twin Snakes and Resident Evil 0, but they were just a part of the few "mature" titles on the catalog. They better "grow up" with the Wii, or else... well, or else nothing. There are lots of kids and mums to buy the system, so they'll keep getting money. That's the problem, actually!