Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.02.19, 01:25 AM   #31
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Shido sounds like it slots perfectly into Heisei Fuzoku.
You can put Dai Ikkai Ringohan's Sid on HF, sure.
But you don't put MM's Sid or Gekokujyou's Sid in HF. No way. Unless you want to be killed for blasphemy!

<- (Shinji's favourite Ringo song is Sid to Hakuchuumu. Kekeke)
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.19, 07:59 AM   #32
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The only reason I'm still here is because it isn't a case of SR constantly releasing sub-par songs, and being incapable. Things are kind of unclear right now.
Constantly, no. Intermittently though, absolutely! Let's remember she wrote ZERO Variety songs and two of the better Adult songs were either written by Izawa or were from Dynamite/Kyoiuiku-era and re-arranged by Kameda. While she hasn't been exactly pumping out bad songs, she's been trickling them out (Amagasa, the Puffy song)

Variety is blasphemy not art
Old 2009.02.19, 08:30 AM   #33
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Constantly, no. Intermittently though, absolutely! Let's remember she wrote ZERO Variety songs and two of the better Adult songs were either written by Izawa or were from Dynamite/Kyoiuiku-era and re-arranged by Kameda. While she hasn't been exactly pumping out bad songs, she's been trickling them out (Amagasa, the Puffy song)

Variety is blasphemy not art
Well, her writing zero Variety songs is not bad songwriting. It's her deciding not to write any Variety songs!

You could heavily argue with that Adult comment -- I think Izawa's Tokyo Jihen songs have been horrible, and I think we have more to fear from his songwriting than we have from Ukigumo's guitar. Amagasa and Puffy are still 'special circumstances' because they're for other artists, and not proper SR releases.

Whether she's still 'got it' or not is unclear. I still like her vocals, by the way, although not in the 'trailer' for the Expo videos, which sound too screamy and horrible, and not in the classic Shiina Ringo sense.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.19, 08:41 AM   #34
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

It was fun while it lasted...

I have to thank Shiina for alot though. Her music helped me develop a taste for indie pop, weird... I can't imagine loving Citrus if I had never heard Ringo.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.19, 11:24 AM   #35
RollOverHobo

RollOverHobo pleased at least somebody

You could heavily argue with that Adult comment -- I think Izawa's Tokyo Jihen songs have been horrible, and I think we have more to fear from his songwriting than we have from Ukigumo's guitar...
You don 't like Tegami?...

But to be on topic, I have no expectations for the 2009-season.
If they come out with something new I'll listen, but I'm going to treat it for what it is not by where it comes from.
You could say I've given up hope, but I'm still a fan (of the Old Shiina) and I still have such respect that I would listen to anything she releases.
Old 2009.02.19, 01:39 PM   #36
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Yeah, I was talking about Puffy =P There are some strong supporters around here.

But really, what I said about "Nothing exciting" is my honest prediction. And I'm not just saying that because it's the general idea in EMF, but because her voice is really becoming, well, not to my liking anymore. And that will affect anything she does, be it KZK 2 or Variety 2.
Her voice is so different from what it was.
i agree, her voice is getting a little harsh for me to listen to without cringing.

starting up a new band with her being a guitarist along with uki with a NEW vocal. This will be hard to get use to for her fans, but her voice is just getting to bad for her to continue be the main vocal.
alleon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.19, 03:15 PM   #37
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by alleon86 View Post
starting up a new band with her being a guitarist along with uki with a NEW vocal.
A new band with SR on guitar AND includes Uki? Wat. Uki should be nowhere near SR on any project and SR is a terrible guitarist. If she plays anything it should be piano.
Old 2009.02.19, 06:05 PM   #38
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

^ y'know, that might be an absolutely stupendous idea. If she's gonna abandon her old/good stuff anyway why not really take a radical direction. Just abandon the idea of a traditional band and traditional band kinda songs. It clearly hasn't helped her much.

That's outside the box, not tripe like Kronekodow.
It also won't happen =(
Old 2009.02.21, 03:17 PM   #39
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Does no one like Ringo's voice anymore? It may not sound that great in Expo, but it's not like it's been consistently bad for the past few years. The last time it sounded so grating was in Dynamite Out (and some of the louder songs in S&T), but other more recent concerts like DVL, JCHI, SoTC vol.2, and many of the minor lives were fine. Of course she won't sound like a 19-year old woman when she's 30, but it's not like her voice is bad (if you're already a fan).
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.21, 03:25 PM   #40
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Does no one like Ringo's voice anymore? It may not sound that great in Expo, but it's not like it's been consistently bad for the past few years. The last time it sounded so grating was in Dynamite Out (and some of the louder songs in S&T), but other more recent concerts like DVL, JCHI, SoTC vol.2, and many of the minor lives were fine. Of course she won't sound like a 19-year old woman when she's 30, but it's not like her voice is bad (if you're already a fan).
I thought JCHI Shiina vocals were horrible. It seemed like she wasn't even trying! If I hadn't been exposed to Shiina beforehand and I saw, say, MaruSad JCHI, I would wonder what the woman was doing on stage.

I really didn't have an issue with her DO voice, after a while. Her renditions of her older songs sounded better overall there.

It's not really easy to look past the vocals when the artist is standing up there...singing!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote