Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2012.01.26, 07:42 PM   #391
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The battle scenes were awful and they couldn't have made me care less no matter how much shit they jammed into them. The battle scenes were literally the worst part.

(I mean, if you secluded one scene and lopped off the rest of the movie around it, maybe it'd be interesting (though that mecha-nazi-zombie stuff...) but that's not how they did it.)
Old 2012.01.27, 01:58 AM   #392
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The battle scenes were awful and they couldn't have made me care less no matter how much shit they jammed into them. The battle scenes were literally the worst part.

(I mean, if you secluded one scene and lopped off the rest of the movie around it, maybe it'd be interesting (though that mecha-nazi-zombie stuff...) but that's not how they did it.)
You have a good point. Now that I re-watched the battle scenes...

I hate the first one. Boring CGI. One-handed katana, really?

The second one was pretty good. Mecha and Nazi zombies were pretty much awesome. Gun-fu is my kind of thing.

The third one was boring except when they showed the gun ship. GUN SHIP BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTT

Fourth one? Nah, I was already falling asleep from the storyline.

So its 1.5/4 battle scenes. I take back what I said earlier and this is my final verdict.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.27, 06:30 AM   #393
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

There was anything other than hot women in Suckerpunch? Musta been watching the wrong movie.
Old 2012.02.01, 02:21 PM   #394
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I just saw Rachel Getting Married.

It was really good. I think it hit the right kind of family drama without going into melodrama. The happy wedding scenes really balanced the whole thing out, and I love the way it was shot and scored.

The only problem I have is that I couldn't get past the fact that it was Anne Hathaway. Sometimes having a big star in the movie pulls away from it.

I also saw Darjeeling Limited, striking another movie off my Wes Anderson list. I now have "Rushmore" and "The Life Aquatic" left. It felt more like a Wes Anderson movie than Bottle Rocket did (which I also just recently saw). I loved the cinematography and set design.

On my list of DVDs to immediately watch next:
The Hours
Sherlock (BBC Series 1)
Chasing Amy
Be Kind Rewind
Brazil

Quite a weird mix.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.02.01 at 02:28 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.08, 10:48 PM   #395
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Just came back from seeing Shame in cinemas and am still thinking about it. Really incredible film... Michael Fassbender's quickly becoming one of my new favourite actors to watch - the guy eats up a scene like crazy.

Also I recently watched Zoolander, Adaptation and Hunger.

Didn't care much for Zoolander (which is odd considering the fact that I really like Anchorman... I mean come on, they both practically have the same type of dumb humour).

Adaptation was great - it's probably the only Nicolas Cage film I've seen where he's actually good. Haven't seen his other films yet (Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas etc.).

And Hunger, I watched mostly to prepare myself for Shame. Equally impressive film - total commitment to the role by Fassbender and beautifully directed (although that one scene where a guard is washing the corridors of the jail was excruciatingly long).
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 08:04 AM   #396
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

The Indiana Jones Collection on Blu for $75? Not a chance.
Old 2012.03.02, 08:59 PM   #397
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Thinking of going to the Tim & Eric movie, even though some reliable sources say it sucks.

Might beat watching this for an hour, but still uncertain about that.
The Jeff Goldbluman Group - Funk Barn

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2012.03.02 at 09:08 PM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.09, 07:53 AM   #398
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Saw Hugo & Midnight In Paris recently. Hugo was so cute. Midnight In Paris was interesting... sort of random, not what I was expecting. Kind of like a wild ride. It's like it was made for someone like me (English/French major) but all the references (which made it hysterical if you got them--Hemingway!) went over my boyfriend's head. I wish Rachel McAdams' character had been more nuanced instead of just "total bitch." The pretentious guy was hilarious though, I think we all know someone exactly like that.

Oh, also watched Crazy Stupid Love. Really great except I hated the end and the theme of "if you really love someone just keep trying forever." Sorry but that's how stalkers are made. At some point you have to learn to accept rejection and treat the other person's feelings as valid. WHY did the 13-year-old get rewarded for ignoring his crush's opinions with naked photos of her?!?!?! That was soooo stupid. And how is a dramatic speech about love and soulmates at all relevant to a middle school graduation? So if you just take out the last half hour of the movie it was great.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.10, 08:02 AM   #399
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Yeah, the end of that movie was awful, especially when every scene leading up to that point was so tonally different and more engaging.
Old 2012.03.11, 03:46 PM   #400
Tokyo Jihad

So I saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo finally yesterday, and paid special attention to the shower scene that was such a hot topic here for some reason.
I really can't believe that was a big deal to someone. The point was pretty clear behind it, for the audience to see how cruel the scene before it was. To see the bruises, see the blood streaming from certain areas -- also pretty clear, realistic character motivation for showering.

The bigger deal I thought was how Lisbeth seemingly was so hot for Daniel Craigg's (aka the author's Mary Sue) bone. The first sex scene, I could sorta see, but the second scene where the guy is not even paying attention -- I didn't buy it one bit.