Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.12.28, 02:24 PM   #151
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

WELL, don't buy the Ringo book if you're not interested/can't read the Japanese Interviews. 95% text (printed on normal book paper) and a couple pages of photos. Smaller size too.

It's like Ringo File more or less. At least there's no ads in it.

Another Ringo purchase, another disappointment. Sigh.

EXAMPLES OF SCALING DOWN (I know they're shit quality but whatever):

Book placed on top of SWITCH ISSUE:

SWITCH on top, book on bottom:

AND the other 90% of the book is:

SO yeah... only worth getting if you're a hardcore collector (which still may not be worth it, seeing as you'd have all the interviews in old SWITCH magazines anyway) or can read Japanese and are really more going for the interviews themselves.

For those who were wondering: The Oomori book however, IS worth getting, all photos except for about 8 pages of text. As good as it gets.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.28 at 05:02 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.28, 05:58 PM   #152
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Uh, i think everyone knew it would be 95% text, the description specifically says its an interview collection. can you really be disappointed if the release is not whatyou expected to be if you didnt even bother to check whatit actually was?
oomoris bool is advertised as a photo book. ergo, photos.

i want the book
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.28, 06:03 PM   #153
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Oh come off it.

(thx Shinra)

It's not like I'm surpised by it- I knew a lot of it would be interviews, was just secretly hoping it would be a collection of how it's set out in the actual SWITCH magazine, not another book set out like Ringo File. Can't be too pissed off though, it's not overly expensive, but I know a cash in when I see one.

Also, it doesn't actually have all the photos that came with said interviews. This book doesn't have other cool stuff like the Utada Hikaru/Ringo conversation either. You'd be better off getting the 6 SWITCH ISSUES (you can get them for a couple 100 yen each) than this.

This is more of a SWITCH sampler than anything. If you're cool with that, that's fine. If you want the whole experience, go the separate issues. I'm sure I've saved a few people 1800 yen by posting the above, and that's the main reason I did it.

To those thinking about getting any Ringo books: Channel Guide, Ringo Book are the only two you need.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.28 at 06:43 PM.
Old 2014.12.28, 06:21 PM   #154
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Uh, i think everyone knew it would be 95% text, the description specifically says its an interview collection. can you really be disappointed if the release is not whatyou expected to be if you didnt even bother to check whatit actually was?.
I didn't know, so you are wrong. Me no speak Japanese. My culture shocked friend.

Anyway, back on topic I personally enjoyed the Nippon performance. The vocals aren't that bad.

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.12.28 at 06:30 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.28, 08:07 PM   #155
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
To those thinking about getting any Ringo books: Channel Guide, Ringo Book are the only two you need.
Just Can't Help It?
Old 2014.12.28, 08:16 PM   #156
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Sorry to get on your case DG, I understand what you're saying now. Earlier I felt like you were just being pissy about the sheer existence of an interview book, so I rudely jumped on it. My bad.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.29, 02:30 AM   #157
anonlurker

Some edition-exclusive photos wouldn't have hurt. Damn!
Old 2014.12.29, 06:25 PM   #158
deadgrandma

Just a tiny bit of exaggeration in the bewbs area methinks....

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.29 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2014.12.30, 01:14 AM   #159
anonlurker

I like the art style on those. More of them here.

https://twitter.com/more_rock
Old 2014.12.30, 01:46 AM   #160
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
What's not to understand about the SG/Sunny comparisons? They are both Ringo's jazzy albums, SG songs have lush arrangement whereas Sunny songs focus on being accessible.
Because they sound like very very different albums to me. By that token (ie the 'jazzy' criterion) you'd include KSK and HF in the bunch as well, but most people don't.

Tracks 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 of SUNNY sound absolutely like nothing off SG.

I also find SG extremely (equally?) accessible as well though it comes off across as a bit more of an assortment of songs than SUNNY does. The only rough note comes in Togatta teguchi, which was interesting when I first heard it, but damn does it age a lot and very quickly too.

I wish I had attended this Ringo Expo. Seems like a blast T__T
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote