Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.10.03, 02:21 PM   #281
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
What are you trying to say?
Pretty easy, if Shiina thinks, that this is a masterpiece, then I don't know if there is any need to listen to any coming album, may it be TJ or SR solo.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.03, 02:28 PM   #282
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

That doesn't make sense. If you thought any of her older albums were a masterpiece, then you would not bother listening to anything after it?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.03, 02:33 PM   #283
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ Golem clearly thinks Variety is far from a masterpiece and anybody who thinks it is one has very bad taste.
Old 2007.10.03, 02:50 PM   #284
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I think they ruined Mirrorball. I still dance to it because it's funky, but it's not the same song anymore. And I liked the original.

I still want to listen to the whole album a lot more before I make my final decision, but at this point I still really do like the variety. Some people are saying that it's not as varied as any other Shiina Ringo record, but I don't see that. The styles of the songs may not be done as well as if they were written by Ringo (who seems to excel at writing for several different genres), but they're still impressive, and definitely all over the place.

I thought Ramp was aight at first, but now I'm liking it more.

Kingyo no Hako is neat, but I think it ends too soon.

I agree that Shiseikatsu sounds like a watered-down Superstar, but thinking back to my initial feelings on Adult, I really didn't like Superstar too much. I have a hunch I'll like Shiseikatsu the more I listen to it. And with eight or so plays, it's my least-played track on the album so far. So we'll see.

I still love OSCA.

Kronekodow is awesome, but like Kingyo no Hako, ends way too soon. And I think Izawa's final quick piano do do do do do do which ends the main section of the song is out of place. I'd like it a lot more if the speedy part of the song lasted longer.

Fukushuu is alright, but I'm a little upset about its position on the album. I like it so much better when it's placed between Shiseikatsu and OSCA -- it's a lot more natural. So anyway, when I play it on its own, I really like the song.

Boutomin is awesome. I wish Uki's singing was louder, but meh. Who's singing the high parts later on in the song? I think it's Uki, but it sounds more like a high Izawa voice to me. But that wouldn't make sense, because Izawa's normal voice is over top of that.

I wasn't a big fan of SSAW at first, but I think I'm starting to appreciate its beauty.

Tsukigime-hime is a great song. Like the two Izawa songs though, I wish it lasted longer. Especially the part at the end where they really get into it. I want Ringo to sing again after the instrumental ending. BAH!

No complaints about Sake to Geko. I think it's my favorite song on the album.

Killer Tune is okay. I enjoy it more with the video. I didn't mind Ringo's scratchy voice in the song until I heard the live versions where she sounds a lot more pleasant. Still, I like the song.

I honestly enjoy the 45-second clip of Metro more than the actual song. I had to have listened to that clip over 100 times, and I guess I created a different song in my head which sounded better to me. I'm not a big fan of the do do do do do's. Other than that, and the fact that my Metro is better, I think it's a very pleasant song. I like it as an album closer.

I need to listen more! And louder! I'm at school right now, so it's hard to get a chance to listen to the album all the way through without getting interrupted. I like it. I don't like it as much as Adult, but that's all I've decided so far.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.03, 03:03 PM   #285
golem09

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
That doesn't make sense. If you thought any of her older albums were a masterpiece, then you would not bother listening to anything after it?
No, not like that. I don't really like Variety that much. If Shiina thinks that this is a masterpiece, with other words the perfection of the music she wants to make, then I'm not really interested in any further album.

MyAnimelist
Old 2007.10.03, 04:07 PM   #286
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I think they ruined Mirrorball. I still dance to it because it's funky, but it's not the same song anymore. And I liked the original.

I need to listen more! And louder! I'm at school right now, so it's hard to get a chance to listen to the album all the way through without getting interrupted. I like it. I don't like it as much as Adult, but that's all I've decided so far.
Fluffie, your review sounds like you are biasing yourself to the fact that others do not like Variety. You do things like say you love it, then quickly add remarks to deny what you are saying, as if you know you will get bashed for saying something positive about the album.

If you like it, like it - don't be afraid to say so.
Variety is not a Shiina Ringo album. The compositions are from other band members. I feel that it is fun album that contains a variety of songs that showcase the band member's talents and comfort with each other. Tokyo Jihad made an excellent point a few weeks back about how music shouldn't be about the image, or how "witty or coy" the idea of the album/song is - a song should sound good, and that is really all that really matters in the end. While Variety doesn't achieve musical perfection in each song, the songs that it achieves does shine, and therefore it is something that Shiina Ringo would call a "masterpiece" of Ukigumo's and Izawa's work. I don't feel that it should be treated or compared to past Tokyo Jihen or especially Shiina Ringo work - such arguments should compare Uki songs to past Uki songs and Izawa songs to past Izawa songs otherwise I fail to see why comparing a 2007 Ukigumo song works when comparing it to a 1999 Shiina Ringo song.

All in all, it's a fun album. I skip a few tracks, but I like it. I think it will be pulled off great live, of contrast where Adult had shined in the studio recording.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.03, 04:19 PM   #287
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
No, not like that. I don't really like Variety that much. If Shiina thinks that this is a masterpiece, with other words the perfection of the music she wants to make, then I'm not really interested in any further album.
I see what you are saying now, but I think you should refer to what Op just said about masterpiece (mainly that it's a masterpiece by Uki and Izawa's standards).

Fluffy, I can't believe you like Shiseikatsu more than Superstar!! , it's one of my least favorite tracks on the album, actually. I don't think it's bad, it just doesn't really pull me in any way. But maybe it's because I've been interrupted like every single time I hear this song .

Op, which tracks do you skip??? What happened to sex in ears?? . I skip a few tracks, but only when I know I won't have time to get to my favorite ones
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.03, 04:27 PM   #288
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Fukushuu and SSAW don't really do it for me.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.03, 04:46 PM   #289
golem09

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
I don't feel that it should be treated or compared to past Tokyo Jihen or especially Shiina Ringo work - such arguments should compare Uki songs to past Uki songs and Izawa songs to past Izawa songs otherwise I fail to see why comparing a 2007 Ukigumo song works when comparing it to a 1999 Shiina Ringo song.
I am not able NOT to compare the stuff Shiina does now to the stuff she did in the past. I don't mind who wrote it, it is the music she DOES now so I can not simply ignore it.
And it does work, if I compare it in terms of "my personal opinion"

MyAnimelist
Old 2007.10.03, 05:06 PM   #290
Akagaminosteven

Akagaminosteven is headed in the right direction

Ramp--I can't really see the justification in opening the album with this. It's not a terrible song, but there's nothing that really impresses me about it. Cute in some parts, but largely forgettable as a whole. I'm having trouble remembering how it goes.

Mirrorball--I never really listened to the original performance that much, but I don't find too many things wrong with it. It's not particularly catchy or attention-grabbing, but I enjoy it and it's pretty good driving music on a late night.

Kingyo no Hako--I liked this since the preview. It's energetic, easy to get into, and just strikes me with a lot of personality. My gripe is the aforementioned "MCR guitar solo", which no matter what band you liken it to, is just flat and lame in my opinion. One of the memorable tracks, though.

Shiseikatsu--The response so far to this has been lukewarm, and I don't really understand. It's a watered-down Superstar, yes, and it doesn't take any risks--but damnit it sounds good and I think it has more heart to it than a lot of the lackluster tracks on this album. Repetitive and simple, but it doesn't try to be too flashy and I appreciate it as a good song all the way around. I love Kameda.

OSCA/Killer Tune--I should have prefaced the post with this, but I'm skipping these.

Kronekodow--Overly silly and does very little for me in terms of standing out as anything more than a cat and mouse chase theme in an old 80's cartoon. Kind of catchy, but mostly just bad.

Fukushuu/Boutomin/SSAW--I'm putting these together because I feel the same unfiltered rage and hatred toward each of them. I've always disliked Shiina's English, and even looking past that, Fukushuu just never does anything to take advantage of how aggressive it is--the tune just doesn't develop. It's like watching a sword-fight between two barbarians with loaves of bread in place of the blades--there's an element of anger to it, but not with much reason. Boutomin and SSAW are two of the worst songs I've heard, regardless of the band. I imagine that if Auschwitz had elevators, these two songs might have played in them.

Tsukigime-hime--I think this is a gem. It combines a classic retro feel with something a bit more sinister. I love the way it ends.

Sake to Geko--I'm not so decided about this. I like the drama in it, but it feels a bit disorganized. My feelings about the song are mostly positive, but I just don't get that special kick out of it.

Metro--I enjoy the regular verses a lot more than the chorus, that's for sure. It's a pretty chill song and I can see myself sipping whiskey late at night to it, but that's about the only situation I can see myself voluntarily playing it.

Overall I find it to be a decent album, but that trio of terror just downgrades it to the sub-par range. I'd be eternally thankful if neither Shiina Ringo or Tokyo Jihen ever revisit the creative process that made this album. I understand this wasn't supposed to be a hard-hitting, thought-provoking musical adventure, and that's perfectly fine. But I figured if they were going to opt for this type of music, they might have done it much better.
Akagaminosteven is offline   Reply With Quote