Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.03.07, 11:17 PM   #71
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
If that is how you feel, please consider donating to EMF!
VERY GOOD POINT. I think I will do it today or soon.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.09, 07:57 AM   #72
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I would also consider doing a podcast with him.
That would be pretty amazing.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.20, 07:21 AM   #73
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
If I read this, I feel son inexperienced in music. I never listened to

- The Beatles
- Coldplay
- Oasis
- Radiohead
- Muse
- Pink Floyd

Well, only some single songs. Beatles would still be the most, I think all in all about 10 songs (And everything included in Yellow Submarine, I love that flick^^). The rest, 0 songs (Oh wait, I heard Creep).
There are so much other well known bands I never listened to, I just took those from this thread, It would be even more if there were more post I guess^^
I was never a big fan of actual music, because everything I heard at friends and in radio/tv was so until I heard Ringo
Oh you poor sod from 5 years ago. There was much the discover for you

#1 The Wall by Pink Floyd
What an epic. How can one man make a double album where EVERY song is above average to nearly perfect? What did he have to give the devil for that? Is one soul enough, or did he have to promise his firstborn?

#2 Meddle by Pink Floyd
This album contains Echoes.
That is the best song every written on this planet, and my opinion on that hasn't changed in 3 years. It simply goes beyond anything, looks back, and wheeps.

#3 Close to the Edge by Yes
3 songs. Clearly enough for one ablum if it's Close to the Edge, You and I, and Siberian Khatru.

#4 Scheherazade and Other Stories by Renaissance
Although it does not contain the best songs from this band, it is clearly the album with he highest average quality. Magical.

#5 Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band by YOU KNOW WHO
There is just something about this album that makes everything fit together. It is all I love about the Beatles (-Eleanor Rigby)

Yeah, so my respect for pretty much all music made after 1980 had decreased rapidly. How come nothing has come close for over 30 years?

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.20, 07:41 AM   #74
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think it's more that post 80-s music hasn't had as much time to appreciate just yet.
Old 2012.12.20, 11:43 AM   #75
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Yeah, so my respect for pretty much all music made after 1980 had decreased rapidly. How come nothing has come close for over 30 years?
There is plenty of great music such as ∆, !!!, Lil B, Brad Sucks, Bull of Heaven, The Dead Kenny Gs, Clap Your Hand And Say Yeah, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, and The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do by Fiona Apple.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.15, 04:39 PM   #76
orphic okapi

orphic okapi is headed in the right direction

I am pretty firm in my belief that The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is the greatest album in existence. I've never heard anything more powerful in my life.

Joanna Newsom's Ys was another transcendent experience for me. It's really unique and special and a modern classic, and fuck anyone who doesn't like her voice. Seriously.

I think the universally acclaimed rock album I enjoy the most is probably Dolittle. It is just the perfect mixture of fun and crazy and weird and catchy. Not many other rock classics really do much for me. I do enjoy Radiohead, but I think I like their more recent, less rocky stuff more; Kid A is probably the album of theirs that deserves most to endure, in my opinion. When I heard National Anthem for the first time, I was like, "yeah, I think I really like what these guys are doing here, this is something different and cool."

I really love Sufjan Stevens, but I don't think he's quite made a masterpiece yet. He's come sooo close! If he could somehow mix Illinois with Age of Adz, he would truly have one of the greatest albums ever. As it is, he's kind of my ultimate comfort musician, and definitely one of the best musicians alive; people who dismiss him as a generic indie artist are way off the mark. Anyway I can't say any particular Sufjan album is one of my favorites, but his body of work as a whole is up there.

Other albums I've really enjoyed include Tom Waits's Bone Machine (I think it's his best? Gah, can't decide), Boredoms' Vision Creation Newsun, Can's Future Days, and . . . probably some others that I can't think of right now.
orphic okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.16, 02:00 PM   #77
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

When I received new speakers, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is what I used to break them in.
Old 2013.02.19, 11:58 AM   #78
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Anything by AKB48. This looks like a box of chocolate.
Attached Images
File Type: png AKB - Copy.png (319.8 KB, 75 views)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.20, 01:16 AM   #79
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Man, if I redid this now it would be dominated by Boris albums... they're all so awesome.

I don't know where Mahou Ga would fit, but it'd be on there.

Tamahime Sama would be up higher. Much higher. Like number 1.

Monoliths and Dimensions would make it into the top 10 too. Same with The Coming Ones.

Always interesting going back and reading the opinions everyone had a few years back. Do you still agree with your own list, Jihad? Still think TKOL is a more worthy album than SS?

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.09.20 at 01:20 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.07.13, 09:37 PM   #80
Tokyo Jihad

Super excited to finally share this!

20190713_225813_edited.jpeg
I finally collected my 21 favorite albums. (As of 2012)
As far as I can tell, Sappukei was not issued on vinyl. The Aeroplane Flies High was, but is more expensive than I care for. And the box is so cool as it is. Been a long time since I've taken a collection picture.

Sappukei was the last one I got.

Crooked Rain Crooked Rain is the one I bought almost entirely so I could take this picture.

First Band on the Moon was that I spent the longest time to track down. That, Central Reservation, and KZK are the ones I'm most excited to own on vinyl.

The White album is the one I owned first.

KZK or Mellon Collie were the most expensive buys.

The White album is the one I have the most copies of (original CD pressing, 68 US apple stereo pressing, 2009 stereo remaster cd, 2009 mono cd remaster, 2009 vinyl remaster (pictured), 2018 remix vinyl, 2019 super deluxe cd/Blu-ray) (The next would be Central Reservation, 99 US cd, 99 Aus cd with bonus track, 99 vinyl (pictured))

As much as I love spinning records, and love Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, listening on record is not the ideal way to experience. Every three songs you have to flip the record. Forget it. I really think the way to do Mellon Collie is to start, and have what feels like one hundred songs rush by until you have to switch discs for one hundred more.

The Nevermind and Pinkerton pressings are the super deluxe reissues. Unlike most reissues, these include the bonus tracks on wax - which is amazing. Best way to do Pinkerton.

Don't remember buying Shouso Strip.

Only 5 are still unopened in original plastic.

Records my wife recognized: The Flaming Lips, the baby, the blue and red one, and the Pineapple Under the Sea.

I don't think I did a good enough job thanking you all, years ago, for the kind words about that series I did. Sincerely, thank you all. As far as I care, this is still my "official" list that I reference to my wife and kid. (And they think its just charming.) But it is soon time to do this again. I've looked forward to it since I finished the last one.
Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Always interesting going back and reading the opinions everyone had a few years back. Do you still agree with your own list, Jihad? Still think TKOL is a more worthy album than SS?
Poor King of Limbs. I think about that every now and then. I get it. I get my thought process. I agree. But I also don't agree. TKOL is almost definitely not going to be in my top 20 next time
Is King of Limbs better or not than Shouso Strip? I thought so then anyway. I'd have to go back and revisit TKOL, honestly. But I would definitely say its not better than Ok Computer, or Bends, or Kid A, or Pool Shaped Moon.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2019.07.13 at 09:42 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote